E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
301 - 303 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I’ve take a step back from mine for a few months. Luckily mine isn’t a daily driver but everything was adding up quickly so I put a pause on mine for now. We have the same color and mine is peeling bad on the roof and top of the bumper. I’ll get it re-painted eventually. I have a lot of the same issues as yours that I’m going to slowly start back fixing.

I thought about selling mine but I love it too much.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
Current state:

FCP sez door handle cable assembly will be here by Thursday. Weekend repair...

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
Some weekend progress:
  • Replaced driver's door handle carrier.
  • Replaced driver's door window regulator.
The door handle carrier replacement was actually incredibly easy with the regulator out of the way, and probably would have been easy even with it in. Very straightforward, and now the driver's door opens from the outside again.

The window regulator replacement was tougher, but straightforward also. It helped to keep the upper and lower track bolts loose until the two glass-to-regulator bolts were secure.

Some pics. Dirty glass:

Clean glass:

Dirty door handle interface:

Clean (though it doesn't look it) door handle interface:

Kinda wish I had ordered new grommets, but they came off OK and I doused them in 303 to restore them a bit:

Installed new handle carrier:

Fixed door handle. I put a dab of grease at the front pivot point and lubed up the carrier mechanism:

As for the regulator, I greased up the tracks and zip-tied both "shuttles" to the cable to hopefully reinforce the assembly and keep the cable from popping out:

Nice to have a functional door handle and 4 fully functional windows again...

301 - 303 of 303 Posts