E46 Fanatics Forum banner
121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
I've got it all broken down and the bulk of my parts should be here on Monday. Most of the bushings are toast now that I have a better look at them. The upper inner and both lower control arm bushings might be the only ones that aren't shot... Although it's hard to tell.

So we know the driveshaft, diff input and output flanges, axles, hubs and trailing arms are all different, but do we know for sure the upper control arms, the subframe itself and other brackets are universal? Those parts on my wagon are cleaner and have less rust, so I am considering fitting the cleanest parts on the wagon. Any gotchas I might be overlooking?

·
Registered
2003 BMW 325ci, ZHP swapped, AC delete, Chaos Calibrations Software, Getrag 5 speed, 2.93 diff
3 Posts
PM me if you have any questions! My ZHP swapped 325ci has been on the road issue free for just over a week so it’s all fresh still! Motor from a 05 zhp, getrag 5 speed that was in the car already, MS43 management, it’s awesome!

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,206 Posts
I've got it all broken down and the bulk of my parts should be here on Monday. Most of the bushings are toast now that I have a better look at them. The upper inner and both lower control arm bushings might be the only ones that aren't shot... Although it's hard to tell.

So we know the driveshaft, diff input and output flanges, axles, hubs and trailing arms are all different, but do we know for sure the upper control arms, the subframe itself and other brackets are universal? Those parts on my wagon are cleaner and have less rust, so I am considering fitting the cleanest parts on the wagon. Any gotchas I might be overlooking?
Yes, all those parts interchange.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
I am going to pull the trans from the ZHP next so I can check the flywheel and clutch and get them ordered. Then I will start the tedious process of swapping all the bushings. Also going to put the wagon on the lift and remove the rear end piece by piece instead of as a whole unit since I will have easier access on the lift.

I did order those alternate Lemforder part numbers for the rear subframe bushings - thanks Archbid. I will use the Meyle HD I ordered for the ZHP and I can compare how they hold up over time.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
How difficult are all of these bushings? I have done all 3 diff bushings and the large rear one was much harder than the front two. How do the subframe, control arm and hub ones compare?

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,206 Posts
How difficult are all of these bushings? I have done all 3 diff bushings and the large rear one was much harder than the front two. How do the subframe, control arm and hub ones compare?
I haven't done diff or subframe ones yet, but the trailing arm ones came out and went back in fairly easily. I used Syncro Design Works monoball RTABs so I didn't need to worry about preload position the way that you would with stock bushings. There isn't a positive location for the rear upper and lower on the trailing arm, so I took measurements before pushing the old ones out. I think that I mentioned to you earlier to just replace the lower control arms, and that I was not able to get the upper inner bushings out of the arms to change them. Will deal with later.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
So I started bushing replacement yesterday. Everything is going along better than I had hoped.

However, I would love a better way to get the 4 main subframe bushings out.

The geometry of the subframe and flange on the bushing sucks for basic sleeve press kits. I don't love the idea of fire or drill and hacksaw approach. And the proper tool looks to be $300 or more. I thought I might find two forks on ebay designed for this job, but no luck.

What is everyone's preferred least destructive method for removing these?

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,206 Posts
So I started bushing replacement yesterday. Everything is going along better than I had hoped.

However, I would love a better way to get the 4 main subframe bushings out.

The geometry of the subframe and flange on the bushing sucks for basic sleeve press kits. I don't love the idea of fire or drill and hacksaw approach. And the proper tool looks to be $300 or more. I thought I might find two forks on ebay designed for this job, but no luck.

What is everyone's preferred least destructive method for removing these?
There are a bunch of guys in the Classifieds section who rent the tools, much better than buying them for a one-time use.

EDIT:
First result in the Tools For Sale or Rent section -

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
There are a bunch of guys in the Classifieds section who rent the tools, much better than buying them for a one-time use.

EDIT:
First result in the Tools For Sale or Rent section -
No luck yet. I'll have to decide what to do this week...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Did you try any of the others in there? There were several similar posts when I looked.
I didn't see any others for the forked subframe tool. Several for the differential bushing(s) tool, but I am looking for the Koch KT20312 or Baum B334140 or I think the Bav Auto B8800097.

I will keep looking.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
I have been waiting for my second FCP order. I paid extra for expedited shipping, but "the automated system downgraded my package to FedEx Smart Post" so it is still on it's way since last week. :rolleyes:

Also, on the subframe bushing tool, no response from the renter here and the guy who has one on ZHPMafia can't locate it atm, so I broke down and bought the tool from ECS. Hopefully it will ship today and I can make some significant progress this weekend.

On the plus side, I was able to get the upper inner bushings swapped on my press at work. Piece of cake. So that just leaves the RTABs that I haven't attempted yet - waiting for the parts. I went with M3 Lemforder here.

My new clutch kit and flywheel arrived this week. Still deciding if I need to replace the flywheel on my sons car. I have two used ones to pick from and at least one of them meets the movement tolerance for the DMF, plus he will be a brand new driver, so I am thinking I will save the cost and reuse the flywheel, but I already have a brand new clutch kit, as both clutches were mostly gone. Not scraping the rivets, but getting pretty close.

Then I will hit the subframe with a green bristle disc and some DE1634 paint per VGG recommendation to freshen it all up a bit. Here is the subframe before I started.
White Black Bicycle part Automotive exterior Bumper

Hopefully more progress to come soon.

·
Registered
2001 325i Touring. 5-speed manual. Formerly automatic.
232 Posts
Coming along nicely!

I’m going to steal your paint method since I’m about to tear into my own subframe this weekend.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Coming along nicely!

I’m going to steal your paint method since I’m about to tear into my own subframe this weekend.
Nice! I'll make sure to post any tips as I go.
I've already done 5 of the 7 subframe bushings, just have the two front main ones to go. If I we're starting from scratch, I would not try my universal bushing and bearing press tools and would either melt or cut the 4 main subframe bushings out, then wire wheel the rust, then reinstall all bushings, then paint last. As I am doing 2 maybe 3 of these, I bought this tool instead of melting or cutting.
Product Font Audio equipment Gadget Machine

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Cosmetics Material property Gas Cylinder Tints and shades

Here is the paint I will be using. It is supposed to have pretty good adhesion and I wasn't too expensive at O'Reilly's.

I am currently mixing it very well as it rolls around on my front floorboard waiting for all this other crap to fall in line so I can resume ;)

·
Registered
4,480 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Automotive exterior Gun accessory Auto part Wood Metal

Subframe bushing tool arrived and my RTABs. I think I will use this tool to install the RTABs as well as remove the 6 remaining subframe bushings. Looks like it will work without any stress on the bushing.

So tomorrow AM I will wrap up most of the ZHP part refresh and start disassembly on the touring right after that. Also placed the last order (I hope) for the final bits and bobs I need for the rear of both - rear main seal back...

I may be getting ahead of myself, but I might just keep going to the front while I have everything blown up in my garage and driveway...

Like I don't have enough to do o_O But, it will be nice to start putting parts back on one of these cars though :)

121 - 137 of 137 Posts