E46 Fanatics Forum banner
101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Yes, my bad, the stud is the expensive part. The nut is cheap. On my last one the studs were not salvageable. I am hoping to reuse these. Fingers crossed - most likely all of them have never been off.

·
Registered
2001 325i Touring. 5-speed manual. Formerly automatic.
232 Posts
It's why they're so damn hard to drill out. I'd leave the BMW studs unless they've broken.
I was going to ask this. I managed to undo them without any destruction and was thinking of just applying anti seize before the reinstall.

TIL they’re inconel.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I did full inspection on both and started disassembly on the ZHP today. I will post a couple pics tomorrow. Man the touring is mint underneath. Zero rust anywhere.
Both had never been touched from the trans to the hubs. Original rubber everywhere and even original rear shocks. Both rear diff bushings are toast. On the ZHP all 4 exhaust studs snapped, but it's ok, as I am happy to have new in there anyway. Otherwise, only one little screw broke where the little cover screws on to the aluminum brace between the front subframe mounts hooped under the pinion. That should be an easy fix, so I'll take it.

Everything is ready to disconnect the brake lines, unscrew the trailing arm brackets and 4 subframe bolts from the body and drop the whole assembly out tomorrow. A decent evening of casual wrenching. Getting it up on 4 jack stands was the hardest part.

How much do you think the subframe with diff, hubs, brakes and all the arms -less wheels, shocks and springs- weighs? I wonder if two strong helpers could squat it down onto a moving dolly...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Do you think I must absolutely change all 8 control arm bushings? It would save a ton of work. The front subframe bushings and the two small front diff bushings look fine. Even the trans mounts look fine. But the rear diff bushing was the worst, and the rear subframe bushings and guibo look like they started to give up pretty recently.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Do you think I must absolutely change all 8 control arm bushings? It would save a ton of work. The front subframe bushings and the two small front diff bushings look fine. Even the trans mounts look fine. But the rear diff bushing was the worst, and the rear subframe bushings and guibo look like they started to give up pretty recently.
I asked myself this same question for all the ball joints and bushings. Then l realized that wouldn’t want to go back in there anytime soon so I went for it.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,303 Posts
I did full inspection on both and started disassembly on the ZHP today. I will post a couple pics tomorrow. Man the touring is mint underneath. Zero rust anywhere.
Both had never been touched from the trans to the hubs. Original rubber everywhere and even original rear shocks. Both rear diff bushings are toast. On the ZHP all 4 exhaust studs snapped, but it's ok, as I am happy to have new in there anyway. Otherwise, only one little screw broke where the little cover screws on to the aluminum brace between the front subframe mounts hooped under the pinion. That should be an easy fix, so I'll take it.

Everything is ready to disconnect the brake lines, unscrew the trailing arm brackets and 4 subframe bolts from the body and drop the whole assembly out tomorrow. A decent evening of casual wrenching. Getting it up on 4 jack stands was the hardest part.

How much do you think the subframe with diff, hubs, brakes and all the arms -less wheels, shocks and springs- weighs? I wonder if two strong helpers could squat it down onto a moving dolly...
I dropped my entire subframe with control arms, Axels and trailing arms attached and re-installed it solo. Use a jack to lower it. Remove the differential, then get a dolly under it to get it out. It is not that heavy,

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I asked myself this same question for all the ball joints and bushings. Then l realized that wouldn’t want to go back in there anytime soon so I went for it.
How many miles did yours have at the time? And so after replacing them all, aside from the RTABs, how did the inner and outers on the upper and lowers look?

·
Registered
232 Posts
How many miles did yours have at the time? And so after replacing them all, aside from the RTABs, how did the inner and outers on the upper and lowers look?
I’m actually in the middle of taking it all apart. Car has 234k when I got it, 236k now. I’ve decided to shotgun it since everything seems to be shot front to rear wise.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 · (Edited)
Any tips on how to cap or plug the metal brake lines after I disconnect the rubber lines? What size fitting are the metal brake lines?

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,476 Posts
Any tips on how to cap or plug the metal brake lines after I disconnect the rubber lines? What size fitting are the metal brake lines?
Unsure if these are the right size, but we use something very similar.

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,206 Posts
I did mine at ~215k. I just replaced the lower trailing arms with new Lemforder since they weren't much more expensive than the bushings alone and it meant that I wouldn't have to solve fore keeping the gap open while pressing the bushings.
I wasn't able to get the upper inner bushings out but they didn't seem worn anyway. Put them back in and will deal with them later.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Well, I ordered up most of what I need, but since I built my order yesterday, 2 of the subframe bushings have gone out of stock. I will have to find an alternate...

I ordered the lower control arms too. They weren't expensive and that is one less bushing to press...

I am starting with the more worn of the two - I am reusing the touring parts back into the ZHP, so I will keep a close eye on each bushing and see if some are a waste of time and $.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,303 Posts
Well, I ordered up most of what I need, but since I built my order yesterday, 2 of the subframe bushings have gone out of stock. I will have to find an alternate...

I ordered the lower control arms too. They weren't expensive and that is one less bushing to press...

I am starting with the more worn of the two - I am reusing the touring parts back into the ZHP, so I will keep a close eye on each bushing and see if some are a waste of time and $.
Which bushing was out of stock?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Which bushing was out of stock?
The front main subframe bushings - both left and right. 33 31 6 770 783 and 33 31 6 770 784

FCP had them yesterday, but now all out of stock, their kits too. I was trying to stick with Lemforder and Meyle HD and those seem hard to find elsewhere too. But I did order a pair at more than twice the price after shipping from ECS, but they seem to be backed up at their warehouse and shipping out might not happen as fast as I am used to. Otherwise FCP was killing it on prices for most of these parts, so I have a pretty big order with their fastest shipping method in as of this morning. I couldn't afford to use FCP's free shipping as that has been just terrible lately.

I think I will tear a bit more off the subframe before I drop it from the car as my helpers aren't available this evening to help me muscle it as a whole as I had originally planned. Diff, brakes and axles at least... Aside from the brake lines, it is ready to drop now :cool:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Almost forgot a couple pics.
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Motor vehicle Wood

These were some pretty crusty critters.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light

Here is where she sits at currently.

Hood Grey Bumper Carbon Automotive design

And I am pretty happy as this captures the overall condition of the underside of the touring. That will be easier when I start disassembly. Clean, rust free and nearly virgin, especially for an 18 year old car :) Every other E46 I have worked on except my M3 has been significantly worse than this, even when only 4 or 5 years old.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,303 Posts
The front main subframe bushings - both left and right. 33 31 6 770 783 and 33 31 6 770 784

FCP had them yesterday, but now all out of stock, their kits too. I was trying to stick with Lemforder and Meyle HD and those seem hard to find elsewhere too. But I did order a pair at more than twice the price after shipping from ECS, but they seem to be backed up at their warehouse and shipping out might not happen as fast as I am used to. Otherwise FCP was killing it on prices for most of these parts, so I have a pretty big order with their fastest shipping method in as of this morning. I couldn't afford to use FCP's free shipping as that has been just terrible lately.

I think I will tear a bit more off the subframe before I drop it from the car as my helpers aren't available this evening to help me muscle it as a whole as I had originally planned. Diff, brakes and axles at least... Aside from the brake lines, it is ready to drop now :cool:
33316770815 and 33316770816 are identical to 33 31 6 770 783 and 33 31 6 770 784. Direct Lemforder OE substitution (Lemforder part numbers LEM271-2001 and LEM271-2101).

Available and not super expensive

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
33316770815 and 33316770816 are identical to 33 31 6 770 783 and 33 31 6 770 784. Direct Lemforder OE substitution (Lemforder part numbers LEM271-2001 and LEM271-2101).

Available and not super expensive
You are a wealth of information. I didn't see those numbers pop up anywhere.
I'll see what ships and when and might need that if ECS is delayed. Thanks!

Reactions: Archbid

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,303 Posts
I figured it when I had the same issue a few years back. I just kept looking for the Lemforder part number and it became clear that both part numbers were the same!

Plus it allowed me to do all OE and no Meyle

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Lemforder's online catalog is pretty useless.

101 - 120 of 137 Posts