·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,121 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,206 Posts
Was this new or used. I have I think the shift boot, but cannot find a new handbrake boot.
New. I shared the Amazon link a few posts ago. They offer several choices of materials and stitching styles, I decided at the last moment that M stitching would be a bit too... Rice is what it would be called in the Japanese car community, so I guess spaetzle here? Lol.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·

You have to reuse the plastic frames from your old ones, but great for the price if you're not in a rush.
How does it compare to the OEM ZHP shift boot?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Thanks

I have come across huge variations of quality of leather and vinyl aftermarket parts over the years, until very recently, I have almost zero knowledge of alcantara parts...

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,206 Posts
It's funny how Alcantara demands a price premium (IIRC the leather sets from them are actualy cheaper) even though it's a synthetic product that they can churn out by the linear mile.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Shifter and ebrake boots! That's what I recently got from the UK.

Took about 6wks IIRC.
My alcantara boots from the same Amazon seller in the UK just arrived after 6 calendar days or less. Customs declaration was printed on the 14th. Order placed on the 13th.

Headlight parts from Germany DHL Parcel still stuck...

·
Registered
2000 323iT
450 Posts
My lost USPS package finally showed up yesterday 17 days after it was supposed to. Total of 23 days to travel from OH to eastern PA. 🤦

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Took me 2 weeks + to get a package from USPS in PA. Quite absurd; and it wasn't that far... In NYC.

·
Ironman
5,121 Posts
My alcantara boots from the same Amazon seller in the UK just arrived after 6 calendar days or less. Customs declaration was printed on the 14th. Order placed on the 13th.

Headlight parts from Germany DHL Parcel still stuck...
Looks like I'm going to order a set as well. I have a factory shift boot, but can't find the handbrake boot. From this vendor, both are cheaper than the factory handbrake boot.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Update:

I cannot catch a break on this ZHP. I got the bumper back from paint and one of the heat staked brackets went missing. Of course the part is not sold separately... I found it from a breaker in the UK and now that part is on it's way - except that it arrived Chicago and then went to Virginia for some unknown reason...

As for the headlight parts on their way from Germany, they still have not arrived. But they did get their first scan in 64 days this morning. USPS now has them in New Jersey, so maybe I will see them soonish - 74 days so far from Germany - and counting...

Ugh!

I have taken this huge delay to build myself a new pair of speakers for the garage. They will be installed before these parts arrive.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 · (Edited)
Well, after half a year, I am about to start the first half of the swap. I am going to do everything from the trans back starting in the next day or two. I will try to grab an interesting pic here and there. I have many parts already on hand and I have already started prepping my first large parts order - mostly the bushings - and will place it once I can get both on the lift and inspect some of the parts I am considering reusing.

Wish me luck! First obstacle will be if I can get the exhaust nuts off of both cars ;) On the red one I had to have the studs torched out, but I am more hopeful as the red one was a Chicagoland daily driver it's whole life and the touring was in CA and totally rust free and the ZHP was in KY and is so much better than the red one underneath.

The speakers kick ass in the garage BTW :cool:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Awesome stuff!
Seriously, just take the car to a muffler shop and make the exhaust nuts their problem. It is a joyless exercise!
Yes, I did exactly that last time, but it's worth a quick try at home.

Are the studs usually salvageable, just the nuts need replaced? Do you use those crazy expensive BMW nuts or something else? I used the BMW nuts and ARP bolts to replace the studs last time.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 · (Edited)
Also, I bought Bilstein B6 rear shocks for the touring, as even Sachs no longer differentiates sport shocks from standard and the BMW parts are $173 per side. Also plan to use Lemforder everything I can find and Meyle HD or regular when the Lemforder isn't available - like some of the subframe bushings.

I think only the shocks, springs and sway bar bushings are the only parts besides the obvious brake, axle and driveshaft stuff that isn't interchangeable between the ZHP and the sport package touring...

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,303 Posts
Yes, I did exactly that last time, but it's worth a quick try at home.

Are the studs usually salvageable, just the nuts need replaced? Do you use those crazy expensive BMW nuts or something else? I used the BMW nuts and ARP bolts to replace the studs last time.
Nuts are cheap on FCP. I think they share a part with a Volvo.

I was able to reuse the studs after I had the nuts removed at the muffler shop. But I also live in California.

·
Ironman
5,121 Posts
Are the studs usually salvageable, just the nuts need replaced?
Ugh. My recommendation is never EVER reuse exhaust studs. All that heat cycling makes the brittle. Snap one of those suckers and it can turn into all kinds of hell.

A good friend went to install a header on his Sentra SE-R. Snapped a stud. Drilled it and tried a screw extractor (EZ out type of thing). Broke it. Towed the car to a shop that had to go through many gyrations to get the old stud out because the extractor is hardened and nearly impossible to get out. It was an involved and expensive process. This is a guy who has done all the work and modifications to his own cars for many years before. This one incident caused a great deal of insecurity about doing any mods ever again. I'm not kidding. It's NOT worth it to reuse exhaust studs.

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,206 Posts
Ugh. My recommendation is never EVER reuse exhaust studs. All that heat cycling makes the brittle. Snap one of those suckers and it can turn into all kinds of hell.

A good friend went to install a header on his Sentra SE-R. Snapped a stud. Drilled it and tried a screw extractor (EZ out type of thing). Broke it. Towed the car to a shop that had to go through many gyrations to get the old stud out because the extractor is hardened and nearly impossible to get out. It was an involved and expensive process. This is a guy who has done all the work and modifications to his own cars for many years before. This one incident caused a great deal of insecurity about doing any mods ever again. I'm not kidding. It's NOT worth it to reuse exhaust studs.
They're inconel on BMWs though.

81 - 100 of 137 Posts