BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
If you intend to use the ms45 DME than you will need use the ms45 wiring harness.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Given having access to any configuration of parts I might need, how would you all recommend I handle running the ZHP engine to it's maximum potential and having everything fully stock under the hood? I am certainly more comfortable with the mechanical part of this job, but I will follow this build to full completion regardless of the electrical and coding lengths required.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
The ZHP was a US specific package, so no Euro software available. You can get the ms45 tuned, but my local tuner said he can't write out emissions monitors in the ms45 (like for running cables headers), but he can in the ms43. The ms45 adds a more advanced MAF and wideband O2 sensors for better and more responsive adaptation. You can tune the ms43 to run the ZHP engine, but the ms45 is a more advanced engine management. He would personally go with the ms45 because it's a better system, and for me it makes sense as it's what my car is already equipped with.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Sounds like the ms45 is the way to go then. I'll plan to research what is required to swap the wiring harness. Is it just the main one that goes to the octopus box behind the alternator? Or is there more to it?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Update, I have been busy waiting... USPS First Class shipping to Germany has been incredibly slow.

So, what else to do than to dig deeper while it is out of commission.

Now the bumper has been repaired in several places with my first attempt at plastic welding - turned out far better than I expected.

And here are the final bits and bobs needed to refresh the front if I can find someone to repaint the bumper on the cheap...

Then I pulled the 5 speed manual out of my donor to start the swap with the auto in my daughters 325i sedan.

I had a few helpers, one of them wasn't much help.

Here are the trans, clutch and flywheel out. New LUK clutch on its way. Old clutch was just about used up after about 180k. Dual mass flywheel was within spec and worked good before removed, so I will reuse it.

Finally, found this minty fresh spare style 68 for cheap. Still unused original tire from 2001 on it and the original sticker from BMW :) Now I only need one more like new front and one more like new rear for my set.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
3,549 Posts
It's a trip finding brand new 20 year old spare like that. I once found an untouched style 45 in the back of a preface wagon and even though I couldn't use it because 16"s don't fit over 330i brakes it put a smile on my face.

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,061 Posts
Hey, what lift is that? When I built my house I had planned on installing a lift, only to find my garage ceiling was about 4" too short (yeah, poor planning on my part). That looks like it would work perfectly for my needs. I just turned 60 (what an old fart) and am finding I just HATE crawling under cars these days. I think a lift like yours would keep me in the game. Even if I cannot walk under it, if I could get a cheap vinyl office car to slide under with, I think I would enjoy a lot of this as much or more than I used to, instead of just hating under car work these days.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
3,549 Posts
Hey, what lift is that? When I built my house I had planned on installing a lift, only to find my garage ceiling was about 4" too short (yeah, poor planning on my part). That looks like it would work perfectly for my needs. I just turned 60 (what an old fart) and am finding I just HATE crawling under cars these days. I think a lift like yours would keep me in the game. Even if I cannot walk under it, if I could get a cheap vinyl office car to slide under with, I think I would enjoy a lot of this as much or more than I used to, instead of just hating under car work these days.
I've been kicking myself about the QuickJack that was on craigslist for $700 that I'd had to pass on when I first found out that I was going to have to buy my house back in August and have been looking for another and only new ones are available for around $1400. It's gotten my looking at things like this one that would get the car twice as high and less obstruction on the sides.

·
Ironman
5,061 Posts
I like it. I had the builder run a separate 220 line to one wall of the garage purely in anticipation of this.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

The Brand is Titan. They are in Greenwood Indiana - near Indianapolis. This is their basic 4 post, 8,000 pound model. SDPL-8000

I am very happy with it. Nicely made and great value. The assembly could be pretty easy with a total of 4 decently strong people, but the assembly instructions are terrible. Now that I have done it once, I could do it in no time without the instructions at all.

My ceiling is right at 11 feet, and I can get my E46s to the last or second to last lock - depending on model, as long as I can align the roof with the full 11 foot area. I will likely have to cheat my garage door a little more and move my light to make alignment for full clearance easier.

Reactions: Geo31

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I have a professional roller chair like this, which is very handy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P6WMO6/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_UZ60FbNGBCMMJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Also, this model only comes in 110, but I brought a 60 amp 220 sub panel to the garage as the original wiring was already too weak for the lights and a circular saw - whole garage on a single 15 amp circuit - what a joke. Now I have 3 dedicated 20 amp circuits and can add much more if needed.

The previous model was both 110 and 220, but no longer an option. But the 110 has been perfect so far.

I got this one very reasonably priced, seller out of state, so no tax, and I picked it up myself to save the considerable shipping cost.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
3,549 Posts
My ceiling, like Geo's, is quite low also (99"), so even the shortest of standard two post lifts end up being ~4" too tall. The one that I linked and another that I'm looking at - Triumph C-7000 - would get me ~ 36" under the car and could be unbolted and rolled out of the way when not in use, that way I wouldn't have to dodge the posts every time I pull in the garage.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
A two post lift would be nicer for brake, wheel and suspension work. I bought this as I also need storage and can store my M3 over my touring.

I think you could get it plenty high for working under, as I can get it too high to reach stuff currently, but then it's in the way the rest of the time and not high enough for storage when you aren't using it. You could park on it of course, but I am not sure I would want to pull onto the lift all the time with my daily driver as a constantly used parking space.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
3,549 Posts
Yeah there are pluses and minuses with 2-post vs. 4-post, but with a low ceiling deleting the ability to store a car on it and park another under the 2-post comes out ahead for me. In a perfect world you'd have a high enough ceiling for the four-post and you'd have one of those on one side of the garage and a two post on the other. :D

·
Ironman
5,061 Posts
I don't need the storage (once I build my outbuilding), but I really really want to be able to work under a car or the suspension without a lot of screwing around. I'm starting to feel my age (a little, still less so than most of my contemporaries). But it would be really nice to be comfortable working under a car. I'll have to see how much budget is left after building the outbuilding.

Reactions: VpointVick

·
Registered
95 Posts
Update: ZHP has been running well. Still giving it it's extended shake down. Several trim pieces are arriving for replacement and I am researching which method I will go to address the burnt ZKW Xenon bowls...

In the meantime, I noticed one of my daughter's tires was failing. Not exactly something I had seen before, but these were some funny brand tires that were on her first E46 that I swapped over to replace the rotten Michelins that were on it when I bought it. I knew these tires weren't great, but the tread was still good, so my frugal side wanted to use them up. In hindsight I should have replaced them last year.

Ive just done my 2003 330D Sport Touring !!!! OOOOOH its good, you do need to get a manual diff though, trust me..

View attachment 913902

Also, it needed rear shock mounts. It was really complaining back there, so I swapped those with Meyle HD and reinforcing brackets and noticed the rear springs we broken - as usual. They were broken more significantly than ones I have seen previously - I think they broke 2 or 3 times losing more of the spring each time. So I grabbed the nearly new springs out of the donor and with the new Conti PureContact LS tires, this thing drives sweet now. All that is left is to sort the PS leak and finally nail down the stubborn O2 sensor codes to clear the check engine light. I am going to start with the reservoir and the two hoses that attach to it and see if that is everything, or just the major part.
View attachment 913903

This car, an '03 325i sedan should be getting an auto to 5 speed manual swap this winter. That should be fun and something I haven't done yet.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Well, I have a 3.46 rear diff in it now, as my touring was originally a 325iT manual. I also have the 3.07 that comes in the ZHP and I have a 3.15 from my crashed donor. Not sure which one I am going to try first, perhaps the 3.46... but maybe the 3.07 as it will not require swapping the input flange.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
5,226 Posts
My understanding is that trying to clean the reflector bowls usually results in messing them up. I cleaned my projector lenses but was very careful not to touch the inside of the bowls.
The coating is not hardened and shouldn’t be wiped as it will smear off

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
My recoated metal AL bowls and a brand new set of German sourced plastic ZKW bowls are on their way to me. I am going to try the ZKW plastic bowls in my touring and rebuilt AL with recoated metal bowls in the ZHP and see which holds up better over time.

Just need to figure out the repaint on the front bumper and I can put the ZHP back together for a little while.

I'll probably start the manual swap in the 325i sedan right after Christmas.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts