BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,878 Posts
Have you found a brand or specific ebay supplier with a decent lens/cover? I bought a lens or two from ebay, shipped out of China, that fit too loosely on my daughters halogen E46 lights. Granted, it never did leak, but it was obvious there was not enough squeeze on the sealing gasket when fully snapped in. I put Magneti Marelli lenses on my touring and they were great, but quite a bit more $$. I might consider trying a cheapy set again, but would love a recommendation.

It needs a new set of the upper eyelash rubbers as well.
I bought these last year and finally got around to installing them a few weeks ago. Maybe a bit loose like you say, but I didn't put new gaskets in this time, did you? I'm thinking that squished gaskets could easily account for that.

I've got like three sets of lights hanging around right now. I think I know which are my original ones and have the newer gaskets in them, but they're not the ones currently on the car.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I bought these last year and finally got around to installing them a few weeks ago. Maybe a bit loose like you say, but I didn't put new gaskets in this time, did you? I'm thinking that squished gaskets could easily account for that.

I've got like three sets of lights hanging around right now. I think I know which are my original ones and have the newer gaskets in them, but they're not the ones currently on the car.
I did not. The gaskets cost twice that of the covers... There was plenty of squeeze with the old gaskets and old covers, but perhaps I will try with new gaskets this time and see how that goes.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,878 Posts
The first set that I used came from Umnitza, but I'm certain that there's just one factory in China churning them out for all of the many sellers. I really don't think that it matters who you buy them from.

·
Registered
2000 323iT
294 Posts
The first set that I used came from Umnitza, but I'm certain that there's just one factory in China churning them out for all of the many sellers. I really don't think that it matters who you buy them from.
Honestly might be the case; cause the Umnitza LED Tail Lights they have for the Touring is on eBay for 300$, while Umnitza sell it for $399; heck it might be the same supplier.

I think I snagged my pair from the same seller for my Pre-LCI; I didn't put new gaskets in either; and haven't had any issues; except one or two clips not clipping in.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,878 Posts
So I got my original set of lights out to get my angel eyes out and decided to pull out the "new" (~3yo at this point) lens gaskets and transfer them to my good housings that are on the car which had just gotten the new eBay lenses last month. Even though these gaskets are a few years old at this point there was a significantly tighter fit than there was with old gaskets.
Just FYI.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I used new OE BMW gaskets with my new Chinesium lenses at least 18 mos ago and so far so good with moisture in them. The aftermarket lenses definitely didn't fit as perfectly as the OE lenses when it came to clipping in, but they snapped in tight and took some significant effort to get fully seated.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Update on the headlights:
I got the used set of AL xenons and completed the full disassembly. One significant issue, I went to clean the glass lenses and wipe out the metal reflector bowls and the silver finish on one of the bowls went black as I gently wiped. The finish on the second bowl was cloudy and did not clean-up. Apparently the coating is shot, so I guess the AL bowls don't last forever. After some significant swearing and then some research, I found a place in Germany that will recoat them. Reflektorklinik. So I sent them off via USPS to be redone.

All the other parts of the headlight were good. Anyone need the lower painted trim for a mystic blue LCI with headlight washers?
I figured while I was waiting, I ordered the OEM eyelash gaskets, URO cover gaskets, new China lenses/covers and new TYC clear corners. I went cheap this time for the sake of comparison. I did all of this recently on my touring with BMW or OE manufacturer parts, so I can compare the fit and longevity.

Today I will replace the windshield cowl trim piece.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,878 Posts
My understanding is that trying to clean the reflector bowls usually results in messing them up. I cleaned my projector lenses but was very careful not to touch the inside of the bowls.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
What was interesting was that the finish on one of them didn't turn black at all and the other went mostly black with very little effort. So there certainly was a difference in the condition of the coatings between the left and right sides. Both headlights were from the same car and seemed to be of the same condition and vintage. I figured I was this far into it and want my son to have safe headlights for the next 6 years at least, so I decided to have them both refinished.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,696 Posts
I swapped clusters when I did my ZHP swap on a vert. Had to get the prom re-written, but it works great now. Highly recommend a complete intake refresh as well as oil pan gasket while it is out! Also starter.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I swapped clusters when I did my ZHP swap on a vert. Had to get the prom re-written, but it works great now. Highly recommend a complete intake refresh as well as oil pan gasket while it is out! Also starter.
What was involved with the prom rewrite? Did you have someone do it?
I did the complete intake refresh on one already and the other one was half done by someone else. I will go through that one in detail and will certainly do the oil pan gasket and rear main seal as well.

·
Registered
424 Posts
What year is your wagon?

Just so you know if you got ms43 dme then you will need more then just full zhp.

Would recommend keeping your original dme, locks, keys.

All zhp are ms45.

I have done 5 full zhp wagon swaps this year for clients all of them were 6 speed manuals.

I kept all wagons with original dme and keys so ms45 was easy to flash to zhp, but on ma43 had to get a little different tune to get some power out of those ZHP cams.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
What year is your wagon?

Just so you know if you got ms43 dme then you will need more then just full zhp.

Would recommend keeping your original dme, locks, keys.

All zhp are ms45.

I have done 5 full zhp wagon swaps this year for clients all of them were 6 speed manuals.

I kept all wagons with original dme and keys so ms45 was easy to flash to zhp, but on ma43 had to get a little different tune to get some power out of those ZHP cams.

My touring is a 2003. I'm not sure if it is 43 or 45, but it has the older secondary air pump arrangement, so I suspect it is not 45... I have a 325 parts donor that is a 2005, so maybe I can use that DME...?

Yes, I have five E46s. I know it's not normal:p

I haven't dug into the wiring or electronics of this yet, so I will need some research and someone to lean on for that...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The ZHP in its current state of headlight rebuild. It is snowballing for sure. While I wait for the bowls to come back from Germany I now plan to remove the front bumper and repair/ refit a few things. I would guess it has smooched a parking curb a couple times...
I have really missed driving it.

I also replaced broken link pins on my daughter's sedan. That one is really driving sweet for a non sport automatic.😎

·
Registered
424 Posts
My touring is a 2003. I'm not sure if it is 43 or 45, but it has the older secondary air pump arrangement, so I suspect it is not 45... I have a 325 parts donor that is a 2005, so maybe I can use that DME...?

Yes, I have five E46s. I know it's not normal:p

I haven't dug into the wiring or electronics of this yet, so I will need some research and someone to lean on for that...
Upload the pics of your MAF of your wagon and I can tell if its 43 or 45.

If its 43 then you will need to get another 3.0 maf.

Just as anything you want to know about the swap I have done plenty of them and now I can do full swap in about a day from start to finished including wiring for manual.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
BMW did some weird things with the 43 to 45 change, it phased in during the 2003 model year over about a 6 month period. Mine was produced 4/03 and that's around when the full ms45 was across the board. Before that it can be crap shoot. Like gtride said the MAF will tell the story. Metal clip with 4 wires and you have ms43. No metal clip with 5 wires and 6 pin spots and you have ms45.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Upload the pics of your MAF of your wagon and I can tell if its 43 or 45.

If its 43 then you will need to get another 3.0 maf.

Just as anything you want to know about the swap I have done plenty of them and now I can do full swap in about a day from start to finished including wiring for manual.

[/QUOTE
Yeah, my wagon has the old style MAF and secondary air.
Luckily my donor has the new style and is fully operational with no check engine light, so I can use the DME, MAF and even wiring harness if I need.

BTW, my wagon is a January 03 build.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 44 Posts