BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got curious about this topic after reading aggieE46's post:
So, I was browsing through realoem today. I saw the retrofit for the BMW performance kit (cams). It also happens to show the oil pump nut.

ZHP oil pump nut PN: 11417897238
Non-ZHP PN: 07119905857

Kinda odd. Any discussion on this?
Complete thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=710223 :blah:

After reading this thread I didn't want to wait around for an answer so I ordered up both parts at a grand total of about $2 from Tischer (I needed a bunch of other stuff so I didn't end up having to pay for shipping ;)). Pictures follow of what I received...

Here is a picture of the ZHP M54 nut on the left and the standard M54 nut on the right:

Standard nut:

ZHP nut:

:idea: We now know for sure that the ZHP doesn't just have a different part number for its OPN, but it actually has an entirely different nut as well. BMW must have known about problems with the nut falling off at high RPMs and therefore issued a new nut with some kind of loctite material on the inside since the ZHPs have a higher redline.

I'd be curious to hear what the experts have to say about what they see in these two pictures. What is that inside the nut and is there anything else you so that is noteworthy?

Regardless of how small the differences are, I think its pretty cool that there is at least a little bit of an extra safety layer with the ZHP specific nut since any insurance is a good thing.

·
Registered
916 Posts
That's the same material that BMW applies to brand new flywheel bolts. They call them micro-encapsulated bolts. The reason why it is applied, is because BMW (or pretty much any other manufacturer) can control the application of threadlocker (and control quality) instead of relying on the assembly line worker.

You (as the consumer) can just apply loctite and get the same result. On the other hand, it still doesn't keep the oil pump shaft from shearing off.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You (as the consumer) can just apply loctite and get the same result. On the other hand, it still doesn't keep the oil pump shaft from shearing off.
I'm aware that I'm not a normal consumer, but....

The real point here is that most consumers will go through the whole life of their car without ever dropping the oil pan, let alone removing their OPN to add Loctite.

This is still a huge benefit for people who want to use ZHPs for autocrossing or HPDEs right out of the box without ever doing any troublesome modifications like adding Loctite, welding, or using safety wire on the OPN.

Although, I'm not doubting that for racing that you still have to worry about the shaft shearing or the OPN still backing off. With all of the stuff it feels like BMW neglects though, its just nice to know that they though about HP drivers a little.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts