E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to change out my ratty shift knob to the ZHP due to it shorter size however I don't want to lose the illuminated shift pattern. Is the ZHP shifter knob plug and play with our iluminated M3 shifter or is there some rigging required to make it work?

Finally would the combination of the ZHP shifter knob and a SSK be too much. I mean in terms of shift effort, feel and etc.

·
Banned
3,839 Posts
I would like to change out my ratty shift knob to the ZHP due to it shorter size however I don't want to lose the illuminated shift pattern. Is the ZHP shifter knob plug and play with our iluminated M3 shifter or is there some rigging required to make it work?

Finally would the combination of the ZHP shifter knob and a SSK be too much. I mean in terms of shift effort, feel and etc.
No they are not interchangable and from my understanding there is a good amount of work involved in making it work. PM deadlysyns, he does this on the regular. He's done a ton of work for me and is great.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

I think there is a DIY somewhere on here to make a illuminated knob out of the cheaper BMW Performance one.

And if you dont want an overkill ssk, buy the BMW Performance kit with the knob included.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-S54_3.2L/Drivetrain/Shifter/ES1899444/

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
No they are not interchangable and from my understanding there is a good amount of work involved in making it work. PM deadlysyns, he does this on the regular. He's done a ton of work for me and is great.
Deadlysyns is taking a break from the lighted zhp knobs, at least he was when I PM'd him last month. I think right now the only option is LeatherZ, which is quite expensive, especially if you want the 6-speed ///M insert.

I think it might be worth holding out until the 1-series M coupe is officially released. That car has what appears to be a ZHP knob installed, and since it's an M, there's a good chance it'll be illuminated from the factory... (has there been any M-car in recent years without an illuminated shift knob?). If it is illuminated, ordering a factory replacement should be doable (and hopefully not too expensive)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts