E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a request for a fellow ZHP Owner, Manual 6 speed trans, (getrag)

When in 3rd gear, fully engaged, give it some normal throttle, and while accelerating, push the stick forward with a some pressure.

Does it vibrate the stick some what harshly? (again only while accelerating)

My car does it only in 3rd, and i cant figure out if it is normal or not.

I appreciate any info!

·
Registered
670 Posts
manual ftw :p

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
A very slight vibration is nothing to worry about but a "harsh vibration" doesn't sound normal. Do you have a stock shifter or a SSK? A harsh vibration almost makes me wonder if the selector rod is making contact with the guibo. If the shifter is stock, you might inspect the condition of the guibo to make sure it's not coming apart.

Why are you pushing the stick so far forward anyway? Perhaps the issue is merely one of doing something you really shouldn't be.

Also, the 6-spd isn't limited to the ZHP. All 330 manuals got the same 6-spd in the late '03 early '04 time frame (forget the exact date of the transition).

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
2004+ 330 manuals have the same exact transmission as the zhp

but since this thread is for zhp owners only, i'll leave without giving you the proper advice and information about what you are dealing with.... maybe you'll think twice about segregating your 330 from the lesser 330's in the future

good day to you sir

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
but since this thread is for zhp owners only, i'll leave without giving you the proper advice and information about what you are dealing with.... maybe you'll think twice about segregating your 330 from the lesser 330's in the future

good day to you sir
:rofl:

·
Registered
158 Posts

good day to you sir

Lol

ima head home for lunch and try it and report back in a hour.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did say getrag transmissions so lets all stop hating :)

Florida2002m3, thanks for the help!

I'm not pushing it very hard, maybe just finger strength, and its only 3rd gear that does this.

if it was guibo, it would still vibrate with no throttle and gear engaged?
Although guibo issues do only tend to arise when there is power though the drive line. But guibo at 58000?

so all 330s after 03 got a getrag transmission with the short shifter?

Sent from my Nexus One using Bimmer App

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
so all 330s after 03 got a getrag transmission with the short shifter?

no, they have the same transmission, not the same shift knob. If i'm not mistaken, 330's and ZHP's have the same shift lever as well, however the zhp knob is a good inch or so shorter than the normal 330

and yes, only 330's from 2004-2006 got the 6spd. 2003 330's had the 5spd, and 325's only came in 5spd until the e90, which was a 6

anyways... i have noticed that it vibrates a tad.. but i'm not too concerned on it, you shouldn't be "pushing" your shift lever anyways... when it is in keep, don't touch it, its right where it belongs

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I tried the other gears, and then put a tad but if pressure if moving it up into the space you really shouldn't be doing, they are all very minor vibe, so I guess the question is, getrag transmissions, does 3rd vibrate more than the other gears while accelerating?

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
if it was guibo, it would still vibrate with no throttle and gear engaged?
Although guibo issues do only tend to arise when there is power though the drive line. But guibo at 58000?
The guibo turns any time the tires are turning, it's on the transmission output shaft. If you're getting the vibration while parked, then it's not the guibo (or the transmission for that matter). Placing a worn guibo under load will cause it to deform more than when it's not under load but if it's in bad enough shape it could still hit the selector rod even if you're just coasting with the clutch disengaged. 3rd gear would probably be the most likely to put the selector rod in contact with the guibo due to the geometry of the linkage.

·
Registered
314 Posts
i tried what you were saying and i do get a bit of vibration but have never thought anything of it. i am getting shifter vibration pretty bad when its idle that TxZHP04 is talking about. any light to shed on this. not trying to threadjack.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

good day to you sir
:lmao: Well played :thumbup:

·
Registered
191 Posts
no, they have the same transmission, not the same shift knob. If i'm not mistaken, 330's and ZHP's have the same shift lever as well, however the zhp knob is a good inch or so shorter than the normal 330

and yes, only 330's from 2004-2006 got the 6spd. 2003 330's had the 5spd, and 325's only came in 5spd until the e90, which was a 6

anyways... i have noticed that it vibrates a tad.. but i'm not too concerned on it, you shouldn't be "pushing" your shift lever anyways... when it is in keep, don't touch it, its right where it belongs
They all have the same transmissions, but I think 6 speed was a mid-year 2003 change (my '03 has a 6 speed) :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts