BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 BMW 330i ZHP. was going to to start ordering my Front Control busings. I saw the Meyle HD Front Control Arms....I was wanting to know if the Meyle HD were better that my ZHP Front control Arms? Also, should i go with Powerflex Front control bushings or stick with Meyle HD bushings??

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
ZHP > Meyle > Stock.

Meyle is about the same price as stock. ZHP is much more expensive than all of them. If you want performance, go with poly.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
ZHP > Meyle > Stock.

Meyle is about the same price as stock. ZHP is much more expensive than all of them. If you want performance, go with poly.
By much more expensive, you mean $50/pair more than stock?

Part number - 31120429578 - The "BMW Performance" control arms, which are exactly the same as the ZHP arms. Just sold as a pair instead of individually. $455 shipped at thebmwpartstore.com. The normal ZSP control arms (31126777851 and 31126777852) -are $410 shipped for both of them. $45 extra is not significant considering the ZHP arms last a lot longer than stock.

Now admittedly, if you try ordering the ZHP arms individually (part numbers 31122282121 and 31122282122) you end up paying $600.. but there's no reason to order them like that.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I cannot imagine the zhp control arms being better than meyle. The video I've seen of their ball joints look really solid.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I cannot imagine the zhp control arms being better than meyle. The video I've seen of their ball joints look really solid.
So you've seen a video somebody wiggling the ball joints and concluded that they are solid?

OP, stick with the OEM. Aftermarket stuff has been tried for many generations of BMWs, and the conclusion is Lems, TRW, i.e. the OEM stuff is better than any of the aftermarket brands. E46 community is still coming to this realization, albeit slowly.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
So you've seen a video somebody wiggling the ball joints and concluded that they are solid?

OP, stick with the OEM. Aftermarket stuff has been tried for many generations of BMWs, and the conclusion is Lems, TRW, i.e. the OEM stuff is better than any of the aftermarket brands. E46 community is still coming to this realization, albeit slowly.
Yep. Meyle is generally accepted as mediocre replacements in most BMW circles. My old car (a ZHP) rode so much better on the OE stuff than the Meyle equivalents.

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
Despite the overall direction of this thread so far, here is my opinion:

Go with Powerflex poly fcab's. They handle sharper and last longer than the oem parts. If they do in fact introduce increased NVH, I have not been able to detect it.

·
Registered
371 Posts

It's not a complicated component.

·
Registered
371 Posts
By your rationale, all 3 versions of the control arms should be equally good then.
Incorrect. A ball joint is not complicated and thus there aren't a lot of factors involved in identifying which will provide a more direct feel, joint play being the biggest of those factors.

Longevity is another story, but Meyle has replacement joints so unless they wear out unusually quickly, I don't forsee that being a significant concern.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Incorrect. A ball joint is not complicated and thus there aren't a lot of factors involved in identifying which will provide a more direct feel, joint play being the biggest of those factors.

Longevity is another story, but Meyle has replacement joints so unless they wear out unusually quickly, I don't forsee that being a significant concern.
If you think you can make that assessment from some online videos, well, good for you.

As for Meyle's replaceable ball joints, the ball joints may be cheap and readily available but the tool to properly replace them apparently isn't.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you think you can make that assessment from some online videos, well, good for you.

As for Meyle's replaceable ball joints, the ball joints may be cheap and readily available but the tool to properly replace them apparently isn't.
Well I'm not about to order 3 sets of control arms to try them myself so unless someone that's had both is willing to chime in, it's all speculation.

Would you suggest an alternative means of identifying how the OEM zhp control arm would be better?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well I'm not about to order 3 sets of control arms to try them myself so unless someone that's had both is willing to chime in, it's all speculation.

Would you suggest an alternative means of identifying how the OEM zhp control arm would be better?
I'm going to go against the grain here . . . I replaced the FCAB's on my ZHP with Meyle HD's last year and I wasn't impressed. The steering response was improved (compared to my worn original bushings), but not a huge amount, and the ride was degraded more than I had hoped. The car is more sensitive to small road inputs and rough textures, and seems to transmit more vibration from worn or out of balance tires or from bake judder. It seems like I can always feel a bit of nibble in the steering wheel either from the road or the tires or the brakes.

I'm probably going to go back to the OEM parts next time I get around to it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain here . . . I replaced the FCAB's on my ZHP with Meyle HD's last year and I wasn't impressed. The steering response was improved (compared to my worn original bushings), but not a huge amount, and the ride was degraded more than I had hoped. The car is more sensitive to small road inputs and rough textures, and seems to transmit more vibration from worn or out of balance tires or from bake judder. It seems like I can always feel a bit of nibble in the steering wheel either from the road or the tires or the brakes.

I'm probably going to go back to the OEM parts next time I get around to it.
What you're describing is exactly what I would have expected from the meyle's, which is a more direct feel as a result of firmer/stiffer joints.

"better" is subjective of course, but to me, this is better.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
I have a 2004 BMW 330i ZHP. was going to to start ordering my Front Control busings. I saw the Meyle HD Front Control Arms....I was wanting to know if the Meyle HD were better that my ZHP Front control Arms? Also, should i go with Powerflex Front control bushings or stick with Meyle HD bushings??
Myele control arms are a cheap alternative to original parts. You can get a pair of new Myele control arms shipped for less then $260 if you search a bit. A pair of new ZHP arms is $410 shipped like Terra mentioned.

I havent conducted the study of how exactly the ZHP control arms are better then Myele but I can put my money on the fact that they are.

If you're looking to maintain your comfort level then buy original replacement front bushes. If you want to improve the handling and steering response a little bit, then buy poly. There are many different brand of poly bushes , search and see which ones you can find the most feedback about.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Myele control arms are a cheap alternative to original parts.
But the Meyle Heavy Duty control arms are supposed to outlast* original parts (because of improved design, according to Meyle of course) and they do cost more than other aftermarket parts that come almost for free.

*+ exchangeable ball joints.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have a zhp and when I bought it it had a different control arm on each side so I bought a set of meryles and they seem to be fine. My car had some kind of impact on the passenger side and that control arm was replaced with a normal one. I also pressed in the power flexes yesterday and they seem to be doing very well. Although the harshness is hard to tell since im already on coilovers.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
After 77k miles, the Meyle HD Control arms failed. The inner ball joint has play now.

For their value, I'd consider going Meyle HD again.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
After 77k miles, the Meyle HD Control arms failed. The inner ball joint has play now.

For their value, I'd consider going Meyle HD again.
Good feed back, but realize guys like us track their cars. Tracking and Auto Cross days beat on these parts much faster, some say the wear is 2X faster, others might say 5X fasster.
The point being, a non tracked car will yield much greater mileage on average.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts