E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Doing a head gasket job, and I'm about to grab the camshaft alignment tool to lock them in place at top dead center. Problem is I placed the locking blocks on the camshafts but the center pin doesn't fit in place. The blocks are too distant to screw them down. This is while the flywheel pin is inserted, the OT mark lines up, the locking blocks sitting snug and flush, and the first cam lobes are in the correct 45 degree position.

You can see the hole is partially covered here

This is a zhp and since its cams are a little different, does the tool needed differ as well? Or is it compatible with both types of cams? Anyone ever had a similar issue?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I think you are supposed to take the valve cover stud out. I think it is preventing it from sitting in the right position.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Sorry for the dumb question: the link plate bolt that is in there wasn't tightened down yet right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks! Great article and it looks like that tool will be more suitable. I'll take a look and see where I can grab it, preferably rent it out.

Also, I recall that when the flywheel lock pin is installed, my OT marker is just off of the block mark, a little to the left actually (so you would keep rotating to crank a tiny bit to line them up). Not sure if that's ok or not, or if anyone ran into something similar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,352 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ended up renting the timing kit from German auto solutions. Fit like a glove and their site has a fantastic diy about the vanos. Would highly recommend them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts