BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I talked to the dealer today because there is a flat spot in the powerband between 4 to 5 thousand rpm and asked what the deal was and they told me that the engine retards the timing a little in this range to save the drivetrain from strain? Is this true? Anyone heard of this before, it feels like at high rpms in 3rd and 4th that it gets bogged down a little at high rpm's, anyone? Is this just bull I am being told, or is is the truth. Do I need a chip to get rid of this, Dinan? It just feels like it hesitates when accelarting at some rpms....

lates
Cavan

·
Masterdebator
1,669 Posts
teamsycracing said:
Hey guys, I talked to the dealer today because there is a flat spot in the powerband between 4 to 5 thousand rpm and asked what the deal was and they told me that the engine retards the timing a little in this range to save the drivetrain from strain? Is this true? Anyone heard of this before, it feels like at high rpms in 3rd and 4th that it gets bogged down a little at high rpm's, anyone? Is this just bull I am being told, or is is the truth. Do I need a chip to get rid of this, Dinan? It just feels like it hesitates when accelarting at some rpms....

lates
Cavan
sorry bro, i haven't heard or felt anything (in my 330i SP or 330i ZHP) of the sort....you should get that checked out

·
Banned
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah

The car is at the Dealer today, he said they would check but that from the factory it retards the timing at high rpm in like 3rd/4th gear to protect the driveline, is this bull? Thanks Franco.

lates
Cavan

·
Banned
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmm

Could be maybe, don't know, just wanted to make sure the dealer wasn't just shining me on, they tend to like to do that:)

lates

·
Masterdebator
1,669 Posts
TeKNiC330 said:
I think it's just the vanos kicking in if i remember currectly.
i thought double vanos was stepless

·
Registered
304 Posts
At high RPMs you should be screaming no matter what the gear.

Of course its sluggish below 2k but especially over 3k you should be screaming. i have no issues in my ZHP.

·
www.my330i.com
1,916 Posts
I wonder if it is due to the steeper cam?

·
Banned
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats what I thought, screaming is what I was hoping for :) It's not bad, but it hesitates once or twice between 4000 and 5000 rpm's about and they said it was just a protection measure? Maybe I will call bmw NA and ask them the question? Anyone have a good idea of who to ask besides some service guy at bmw....

lates
Cavan

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm goin to work now. I'll check it out for you and post and let you konw how it does in about an hour. :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well... I didn't notice anything. Ran it up to 6k in every gear up to 4th on my way to work. Hauls ass like the rest of em. Maybe its your car? :eek:

BTW how'd you know I was a World Rally Championship nut? :D

·
Banned
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well

If your not a fan on this forum, you shouldn't be on this forum.... Who should I talk to rebel, any ideas??

Cavan

·
Registered
304 Posts
Re: well

teamsycracing said:
If your not a fan on this forum, you shouldn't be on this forum.... Who should I talk to rebel, any ideas??

Cavan
I'd go to the dealer, get one of the master mechanics and have him go on a ride along with you so you can push it through the gears and point out what you think is the hesitation and maybe he'll notice it. Course, if you have my luck that would be the one time it doesn't happen.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I do feel a bit of hesitation at high Rpms in 1st going to 2nd sometimes. At first I thought it was my acceleration method, but even with the pedal still it still does it. Only sometimes, the car kicks a little from 3k-4500. WOnder if this is a similar issue.....:confused:

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'll pay more attention to this over the next few days. But I didn't notice anything.

·
Banned
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah

Thanks guys, I only notice it when at high rpms in 3rd, 4th, although I may have to test it out in the next few days, let me know if any of the rest of you notice it. May be time for a dinan chip if the dealer says it's nothing :)

Cavan

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Re: yeah

teamsycracing said:
Thanks guys, I only notice it when at high rpms in 3rd, 4th, although I may have to test it out in the next few days, let me know if any of the rest of you notice it. May be time for a dinan chip if the dealer says it's nothing :)

Cavan
Forget Dinan!

Wait for the Technik ECU Upgrade. Much better....

·
Banned
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah

I know, still waiting for that! But I like the fact that the dinan would be warrantable, need the warranty......

Cavan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts