E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
6,176 Posts
I am completely unsure is his transmission has this set of parameters?
It used to be with the earlier 5HP 40 that when in "S" mode, line pressure was increased.
Does anyone know if applicable to Ray's?

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
To confirm what the ATF thermostat does, it's actually two thermostats in one when you pull one apart. A single thermostat would either have the cooling path open or closed.
ATF cooler small Tstat operates just the same as the engine coolant bigger Tstat. None of them just closes or opens a path. The only Tstat that closes or opens a path is the engine oil Tstat.
Engine Tstat:
  • When cold, closes the radiator lower hose and open the path from the head to the pump sucking side.
  • when hot, opens the radiator lower hose and closes the flow from the head to the pump sucking side.

ATF Tstat:
  • when ATF cold: it opens the ET tank to the pump suction side and close the lower radiator path to the pump suction side.
  • When ATF hot: it closes the ET tank and open the radiator lower side to the pump suction side.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
6,176 Posts
Unfortunately the transmission oil temperature sensor is built into the transmission wiring harness. Inside the pan.

Gear oil temperature sensor

The transmission oil sump temperature is sensed by a temperature-dependent resistor which is soldered in the transmission wiring harness. Among other things, engagement of the torque converter lockup clutch is controlled dependent on the transmission oil temperature

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
OK, then the whole oil pan is hot like sizzling oil pan, then the same wet towel test should work on the pan too.

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
727 Posts
Also, what is the expected "normal" trans temp range?

A great question I could NOT find a specification for. I did get a chance to look up the opening threshold for the little thermostat mounted in the "mounting plate" under the expansion tank. 17 11 1 437 362

80° C

Should be a few degrees north/south of there if the radiator and engine puller fan (Bd's & my favorite conversation. ;) ) is working correctly.
Sorry to jump in here again. I just finished the drain and fill on mine. At idle my temps are 192° F.... about 89° C. Is that too hot? Outside temp is 96°F right now.

·
Registered
2001 325i Sedan
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Sorry to jump in here again. I just finished the drain and fill on mine. At idle my temps are 192° F.... about 89° C. Is that too hot? Outside temp is 96°F right now.
No. "Normal" appears to be 90-110C. MAX allowable oil temp, per ZF, is 120C.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts