·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quick Info:
Car: 99 328i sedan e46 (manual 5spd)
Mileage: 190k
Car Owner #3

Hello all! first post! ok so heres the deal, I have as stated a 99e46, the problem i have is one day while at a stop light my clutch lost all its travel, as in it will barely come off the floor, only raises about a inch, because of this it will not disengage while the car is on, all gears work fine but the car must be off to go into gear. I had zero slipping of the clutch before this, it actually grabbed very hard if i just came off it, but heres the deal smooth shiffting was verry hard, the clutch before this was only grabbing i would say within the top two inces of say the say 6 inches of travel, and it would bounce a bit upon grabbing. If it slipped before this i would say its the clutch but this is just so funky. Any ideas?

NOTE!: there was ONE time after loosing the travel where i started the car and i had the clutch pedal back, after turning the car off it was gone again. I have brake fluid, my brake pads are low but not 100% gone. car leaks power steering and needs a new steering rack.

Hit me with some ideas guys, i'm stumped.

·
:D
7,811 Posts
I would say check the clutch slave cylinder first for leaks since your fluids were low

His fluids aren't flow. It could still be a slave cylinder.

·
Registered
10,018 Posts
Clutch Master Cylinder. Classic description. Pedal goes to the floor but there is no clutch.

Sometimes you can pull the pedal up with your toe and try it again, this confirms the clutch master if it works.

The clutch master, and the brake master, have chambers inside. When you press the pedal, fluid moves from the chamber into the hydraulic lines, then comes out the other end of the lines to actuate the clutch or wheel cylinders, depending on the pedal in use. When the brake master fails, you feel it at a traffic light as a sinking pedal. The clutch is a bit different, the failure is that the pedal goes to the floor without actuating the clutch. In both cases, there is a piston that is directly attached to the respective pedal, and o-rings that seal this piston from the main body of the cylinder. Your trouble is that the o-ring has failed. You work the pedal and the fluid simply passes around the o-ring, and nothing happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts