BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tried to reply to the older thread about this, but I guess it's closed.

I just wanted to confirm that NAPA does indeed carry Zerex G-48. Someone in that other thread mentioned that it's widely available on the west coast, but I've never seen it at any Napa around here. I did a search online and, at random, none of the stores within 75 miles had it in stock.

The local NAPA ordered it for me on Monday morning, and had it there Wednesday afternoon.

This is sort of a big deal, because you can't even buy G48 coolant anywhere online. (You can buy Pentofrost NF online, which is basically the same thing, but more expensive.)

The bottle is identical in every way to the bottle of BMW coolant I have sitting in the garage. Not only are they the same coolant, they also seem to be bottled by the same company, but with different labels.

I paid exactly the same price I payed for BMW coolant at the dealership. This is a better option, of course, if your local NAPA price is cheaper than your local dealership.

If you want to purchase it, you can call your local NAPA and ask them to order part number ZRX 859537.

(This batch of coolant is for my Volvo, by the way. Volvo and BMW both use G-48.)

UPDATE: a few people have mentioned being able to get actual BMW branded coolant at Advance and Carquest.

My local advance auto actually keeps genuine BMW coolant in stock! I only know this because I've bought one of the 2 gallons they have. Not many enthusiasts live near me so no one ever buys it probably except me lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have found that many the Advance Auto's in my area have BMW coolant, often not displayed with the standard coolant. Might be behind the counter and you have to ask for it. I recall the Advance price was around $22-$23 per gallon and I could buy it for around $19 a gallon from the dealer?

Also check other local import auto parts shops. I have a pretty good local import auto parts chain that had BMW and other coolants for Mercedes, Toyota and others. But they wanted like $28 a gallon for the BMW coolant!

So really look around, you might be surprised what you find if you really look and ask at the counter.
My local Carquest has BMW coolant for $20 per gallon.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
G-48 is now the factory fill for most euro cars, and is slightly better than G-05 with regard to corrosion, and possibly longevity. They don't publish a whole hell of a lot of coolant testing info, unfortunately. The only reason to use G-05 is that it's easier to find, or it's cheaper. For anyone changing their coolant every two years, you could probably use any modern coolant. Green if you do it yearly.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=17045499&postcount=38

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
perhaps you don't read , or don't understand what you are posting about

like i said , it's splitting hairs, they are both pretty much the same thing , but the g-05 has slightly more silicate , which is better for aluminum as far as corrosion goes

if you are like me , and have been using g-05 for years ,there is no reason to change

that's what my post was more meant for

and for anyone that has a diesel, the g-48 should not be used as most , i could be wrong here , if not all have wet sleeves

carry on

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
The only G-48 I see on the NAPA site is a 55 gallon drum for $919. The unmixed G-05 is $18/gal. The local BMW dealer will sell me gallons for $20 and is closer than NAPA. I think Tischer will typically sell coolant for about $20/gal too.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
perhaps you don't read , or don't understand what you are posting about

like i said , it's splitting hairs, they are both pretty much the same thing , but the g-05 has slightly more silicate , which is better for aluminum as far as corrosion goes

if you are like me , and have been using g-05 for years ,there is no reason to change

that's what my post was more meant for

and for anyone that has a diesel, the g-48 should not be used as most , i could be wrong here , if not all have wet sleeves

carry on
No, you idiot, I do read.

If G-05 is better for aluminum corrosion than G-48, and you so strongly believe in people reading each other's posts, how do explain the fact that, in the link I posted, the data shows that G-05 has an aluminum loss of 1.8mg in a simulated service test (ASTM D 2570) compared to G-48 with a negative (meaning weight gain) of 1.2? (It's also worth noting that the most current PDS from Valvoline / Zerex, who are manufacturing the G labeled coolants to BASF/Glysantin's spec, have G48 rated as 10, perfect, for the water pump cavitation test, ASTM D2809, compared to G05's very similar 9.)

As you can see, I understand what I'm posting about. I even glanced at the 12-year-old thread you linked to. Maybe you should take your own advice and read what you decided to do keyboard diarrhea in response to:

G-48 is now the factory fill for most euro cars, and is slightly better than G-05 with regard to corrosion, and possibly longevity. They don't publish a whole hell of a lot of coolant testing info, unfortunately. The only reason to use G-05 is that it's easier to find, or it's cheaper. For anyone changing their coolant every two years, you could probably use any modern coolant. Green if you do it yearly.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=17045499&postcount=38
People like you are the reason threads get derailed--there are probably hundreds of coolant threads on this forum alone--and questions like this get asked that have nothing to do with the topic of the thread:

Is it OK to top off BMW OE coolant with Zerex G-48 or G-05 ?
(No, don't mix coolants. You can top it off BMW with G-48, because it is G-48. But don't mix G-48 and G-05. And, BTW, nothing against you, tech4tech. Please look through the two links I posted above, or do a Google search, and use whichever coolant you want to. Just don't mix them. Manufacturers don't disclose much about what they put into their coolants, and it's never a good idea to mix them due to how little we know about their compatibility.)

The entire point of this thread is to let people know that NAPA can order Zerex G48, which IS BMW coolant. If you want to change your coolant to G05, go right ahead. It's easier to find and often a bit cheaper. Around me, it's more expensive. Modern coolants all offer very similar protection.

There are plenty of people who don't like going to the dealership. Being able to get G48/BMW coolant an NAPA is a positive thing for them.

I couldn't possibly care less than I do now if half the people on this forum started using green coolant instead of BMW coolant. I wouldn't care if you had been using Dex-Cool for the past decade. It doesn't have anything to do with the availability of G48 at NAPA. You're the kind of guy who would say "that's a dumb place for a bathroom" after someone responded to you asking them where the bathroom is.

For people who want to use BMW coolant, which is BASF/Glysantin/Zerex G-48, because it's recommended by BMW and slightly better for this application than the others, you can get it at NAPA.

(I'm editing this to reiterate the point that I don't care which coolant anyone uses in light of the fact that I ended up "defending" G48 just to make a point about the thread being derailed for no reason. I'll say it again: use any coolant you want. Most modern coolants offer similar protection. The whole point of this thread is to let people who are interested know that they can purchase the identical/correct BMW approved coolant at NAPA.)

·
Registered
173 Posts
That was me that mentioned west coast Napas have G-48. Its priced normally at 17.99 but sometimes goes on sale, which definitely beats what the dealer wants for BMW branded coolant ($25). If you want original BMW coolant without the price tag G-48 is your answer! Thanks for reporting back!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Even though this

the data shows that G-05 has an aluminum loss of 1.8mg in a simulated service test (ASTM D 2570) compared to G-48 with a negative (meaning weight gain) of 1.2
and this

That was me that mentioned west coast Napas have G-48. Its priced normally at 17.99 but sometimes goes on sale, which definitely beats what the dealer wants for BMW branded coolant ($25). If you want original BMW coolant without the price tag G-48 is your answer! Thanks for reporting back!
were in the thread above your post, you've decided to opt for ordering the non-BMW approved, and slightly inferior coolant, for the same price that you could, possibly, purchase it locally, considering the fact that your location is listed as "cali?"

Or am I mistaken and you thought G-05 and G-48 were the same thing?
------

Thanks, Synrgy, for responding! If you hadn't mentioned the NAPA availability in that other thread I never would have checked. I'm glad I was able to confirm it. Hopefully a few frantic Google searches for G-48--like my own--will land here on this thread.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Unfortunately the NAPA store in my area only lists G-48 being 'available' in 55 gallon drums. I've got an indie near my work that sells BMW coolant for $6/liter. Did find the pre-mixed G-48 at a local O'reillys for $19.00/gal.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Unfortunately the NAPA store in my area only lists G-48 being 'available' in 55 gallon drums. I've got an indie near my work that sells BMW coolant for $6/liter. Did find the pre-mixed G-48 at a local O'reillys for $19.00/gal.
Might as well just get the bmw coolant from the Indy and mix it yourself since that would be cheaper, $19 a gallon for pre-mixed sound kind of expensive

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Call and give them the part number from here: https://www.napaonline.com/p/ZRX861583

It was listed as unavailable, when I checked roughly 30 stores within 75 miles at random, online, at every single one.

But the $6 per liter price is definitely better if your NAPA ends up telling you it's $25 per gallon.

Is that BMW branded coolant by the liter, or something like Pentofrost?

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Call and give them the part number from here: https://www.napaonline.com/p/ZRX861583

It was listed as unavailable, when I checked roughly 30 stores within 75 miles at random, online, at every single one.

But the $6 per liter price is definitely better if your NAPA ends up telling you it's $25 per gallon.

Is that BMW branded coolant by the liter, or something like Pentofrost?
If I buy a gallon it's in a BMW jug. Found this at Advance, Pentosin that's blue http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/pentosin-pentofrost-nf-antifreeze-coolant-1.5-liters-8114117/10007849-P?searchTerm=coolant

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I get coolant from the local dealer for $20/gal, which is roughly what you'd pay to mail order it. I'm not seeing a huge advantage to hassling the local NAPA to see if they can get some special order coolant for roughly the same price.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
^Not everyone has a BMW dealer nearby.
But even then I can't see the point to go to NAPA for coolant except in an emergency.
People should just keep a gallon of coolant at home for such occasions.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts