E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Greetings from Germany :)
I have a 04/2001 330ci which has ZCS. not FA. I bought original LED taillights and connected them with OEM Adapters. I also got a newer LCM/LSZ (SW 3.6). The LED tail lights do glow, but the left blinker doesn’t work, and they are shown as broken on the dashboard.
I will try the method from this blog to code the LED tail lights.

·
Administrator
19,158 Posts
The newer LCM uses FA coding while your pre-09/2001 E46 uses ZCS coding.

You would first need to properly code the replacement LCM to your car, then code the car for LED tail lights.

I am not sure if that combination will work or not. I suspect it would, but is going to be fiddly to get everything done right. People have mixed FA and ZCS modules on the same car in the past, but it is tricky.

Which LED tail light retrofit guides have you read so far?

·
Registered
2001 325i 5mt. 2009 535xi Touring 6mt.
600 Posts
Yes, @Bali is correct. I also upgraded my LCM and it’s actually quite nice being able to code it with FA instead of ZCS. That said, I haven’t removed the resistors from my Eagle Eyes tail lights so they are still working that way.

Reactions: Maxo069

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You would first need to properly code the replacement LCM to your car
By that you mean to match the vin because of the temper dot? I did that already and it worked with NCSExpert :) (btw. I flashed the LCM from 3.6 to 4.5 for triple blink)

then code the car for LED tail lights.
I will try today the ZCS coding method to retrofit the OEM LED Taillight. I hope it will workout with This DIY. (But I don’t think so.. as I read in a few other threads)

Otherwise I will have to try the hybrid of FA and ZCS.
A German coder recommended me the same, but I have no clue how to do it and didn’t find any DIYs to this hybrid topic:
I am not sure if that combination will work or not. I suspect it would, but is going to be fiddly to get everything done right. People have mixed FA and ZCS modules on the same car in the past, but it is tricky.
Which LED tail light retrofit guides have you read so far?
I only tried This method once and found out it won’t be this easy. Since then I just did research how to do it with ZCS.

thanks for support @ALL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so I tried the ZSC coding with changing the SA via NCSExpert. The ZCS coding went through, but it didn’t change anything (Taillight still shown as broken on Dash). How can I solve this? Some say I have to build my own FA and code it to my new LSZ, but I can’t find any information about it how to do it..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok guys, found my mistake. I did everything right, just forgot to code the LCM with an empty FSW_PSW.MAN file. After that, no warning lights anymore and everything works fine.

So in summery:

e46 330ci (cabrio) from 04/2001 -> So no FA / VO. Just ZCS.
OEM Facelift taillights
old factory LCM (SW 2.0) replaced with a newer LCM (SW 3.6 flashed to SW 4.5 CI37 --> flashing to 4.5 is not necessary, just for triple blink)

Coded the EWS + KMB with this DIY: DIY Coding BMW E46 ZCS module via NCS Expert (Add 000100000 to SA)
Afterwards, code an empty FSW_PSW.MAN to your LCM.

Now OEM facelift taillights should work on your ZCS e46.

Special thanks to @P3R$IaN :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts