BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is at the dealer for some work. While its in there they gave me a 2005 z4. I feel kinda gay driving it but this is a bad ass car. I love the steering wheel and I want to know if it can be installed into a e46. It feels so much smaller I must have it!

This is the wheel
wheel 2.JPG

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
also, keep in mind that a smaller diameter wheel on our cars will obstruct the view of part of the guage cluster.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its like 14". I dont think it will block the gauges that much. Its give and take, better feel vs less view of gauges. Will it fit?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an e46 2001 330i and have ordered an e85/e86 z4 MSport steering wheel, on its way in the post! I have read on random forums that they both have the same spline and dual stage airbag connectors, so it should work but I have not seen anyone do it yet. I'll try to remember to post results here but I'm posting everything on instagram @E46skids I'm doing other work (rust repairs, gasket changes, catch can install, drift mods) too. EDIT: Z4 wheels do not come with cruise control buttons so you will lose that function. I have actually ordered a wheel with no buttons whatsoever lol.

·
Registered
2005 ZHP
226 Posts
I have an e46 2001 330i and have ordered an e85/e86 z4 MSport steering wheel, on its way in the post! I have read on random forums that they both have the same spline and dual stage airbag connectors, so it should work but I have not seen anyone do it yet. I'll try to remember to post results here but I'm posting everything on instagram @E46skids I'm doing other work (rust repairs, gasket changes, catch can install, drift mods) too. EDIT: Z4 wheels do not come with cruise control buttons so you will lose that function. I have actually ordered a wheel with no buttons whatsoever lol.
Wow you bumped a thread from 2006! Anyway, it bolts up and connects just fine. Fyi for those that want buttons - radio controls and all that work. If you want cruise control, you'll have to retrofit the z4 cruise stalk as well.

The reduced diameter is awesome - makes your inputs a little quicker. I've researched my face off on steering wheels and it looks to be the smallest diameter wheel you can get while keeping an airbag.

Also FYI to others the Z4M wheel is indeed the mac daddy of steering wheels with that extra fat grip, but it is hella expensive. The diameter is the same as the regular Z4 wheel so you're really just paying for the extra thickness (which may be matched with an overwrap) and black trim.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts