BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
OO[][]OO
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm reading the latest Jan. issue on C$D magazine there is nfo about the Z4 with the 3.0 engine that it does have instaled "SUBWOOFER" for better engine sound .
The sound is coming from tube about 3" in diameter conected to the intake between the air filter and the engine .
Inside the tube there is flexible membrane that VIBRATES by the passing air and by that does creating ilusion of very powerfull engine sound ........
Anyway did anyone saw that info or did notice the red pipe inside the Z4 engine bay and also any ideas as if that "sub" is posible to be retrofited on any regular 3.0 engine .... ?

THX

3C
==================
330CIC280A6Q2.8T.C2.8

Attachments

·
Wohnhafter perverser Mensch
3,415 Posts
I think I know what you're talking about although I have never seen the pipe. For some reason, the 3.0 Z4s seem to have a really nice deep tone when accelerating.

·
Movin On Up
641 Posts
i also heard about this and saw a pic of it in like road and track or something. its a red tube. the whole idea is real weird, the 3.0 shouldnt need the damn subwoofer. 3.0's sound sick anyways!!

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Please post pictures of the Z4 engine with red tube!

I'm interested. I'm curious if the Z4 airbox changed alot from the e46 or not.

Anyone have the latest ETK CD with Z4 parts? PM me if you do I would like to update my copy.

The idea of the "subwoofer" could have more to do with intake performance and sound resonance rather than making more noise. The resonance frequency of the intake can result in greater airflow if you resonate the sound forward toward the throttle. This could force the backlash waves from the closing of the throttle to become shorter as well. I read a article from a Australian race car mechanical engineer who said resonance tuning can increase intake performance upwards of 30 percent!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree, i remember watching the new film series and wondering why the Z$ 3.0 sounded so much nicer than our cars.

·
Masterdebator
1,669 Posts
it's not red, C/D just hghlighted it red so it's easier to see. I wonder if our 330's have it.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
The 323-330 does not have this resonance subwoofer.

The BMW ETK shows no such parts for our car. Someone please take a pic of this thing. Someone get the new ETK cd with the Z4 so we can see the detail.

Also note that it looks like the intake tube and possible airbox changes for the 330isport but I haven't seen the engine up close just from the pictures. I do know that the new e46 low emissions engine will have a second air intake and a second mass air sensor. I really want to see what the Z4 and the new 330i sport has.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts