E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forums here. I have an '02 330i with the m sports package. Car is on 18's , has had every scheduled check up and done, very well maintained. 114k miles.
Co-worker has '91 3rd Gen z28 with the 305 5 speed. He needs to get his injectors replaced so we are unable to have this fun right now. He has the same miles.and both are stock.

We were wondering perfect driving conditions both running 93 Oct.who would pull on who. 20mph start,40 Mph start and from a stop. This thread isn't intended to start a debate. We just Wanna a heads up before spring comes.but by that times ill have my exhaust , intake , tuned and that damned hydrolic limmiter taken out

·
:D
7,701 Posts
street racing is frowned upon in this forum. i'm guessing this thread will be closed soon.
however i think the 330 would win. maybe not to 40. but to 100+ yeah, you'll win.
it's got slightly less power (which is embarrassing considering it's a v8) and it's heavier and older.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Z28 has 95k :p

230hp, 300tq.

230hp out of a 305 motor is pretty good, I would say. It's a fast car, and was really well mantained as well. It has the 350 heads and cam package, 2.5" exhaust, and a posi rear end. It also was equipped with the World Class T-5.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I do know my 1999 Acura TL just barely walked an IROC-Z Camaro in a "controlled environment" before (I was 19... don't wanna hear it). The Camaro had an exhaust for sure. Torque is good for getting off the line and getting that initial punch when you push the gas while moving. Horsepower takes over from there. It's why my E46 can make a stock Fox Body Mustang 5.0 cry (tested in a "controlled environment" as well). You shouldn't have much trouble.

As for the cams, I've heard mixed things. Some people say they work, some people say they don't. I think it all boils down to software that's compatible with the cams. Cams, generally, are more trouble than they're worth. If you're wanting to drag race your E46 (which is NOT what they're designed for), just put a 50 shot of nitrous on it and call it a day. Headers are also a great bang-for-the-buck mod. I have a thread with a variety of mods and how much each horsepower will cost per mod. You might get some use out of it since the control car uses the 3.0 liter M54 motor.

EDIT: Here's the link - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=884584

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not looking to drag race. I'm looking to build a track ready car to play around with on local tracks like road America.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I'm not looking to drag race. I'm looking to build a track ready car to play around with on local tracks like road America.
By the sound of your original post, your biggest concern was who would win in a straight line. That sounds like drag racing. If you're really wanting to do track racing, then you don't need to modify your car in any way to show a Z28 Camaro who its daddy is. For a straight line? Yeah... you're going to need a little help due to the Camaro's higher torque numbers. You'll eventually come around and pull on it, but right off the line, the Camaro will have just a slight jump on you. Around a track, you SHOULD be able to spank it all day long, given you know how to drive.

And in your original post, you said, "Hydraulic limiter." Are you talking about the clutch delay valve? That takes five minutes to remove.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yes the cdv, I was looking at the heat shield and everything to take off while I had it on the lift doing an oil change this weekend. I just need time on the lift. But my first question was yes who would win in a straight line. I explained what I wanted to do because u said throw in some nitro. Im not a fan by any means of nitro and was explaining dragging wasn't my intentions beside this once

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I'm looking at a new cam, uuc exhaust ,afe intake and aa tuned. Been looking at ebay headers but do they throw codes once installed
1) You'll need to send your DME to Active Autowerke AFTER you do all your mods. They don't sell a "plug and play" thing like the Shark Injector. They give you a custom tune to maximize the gains from all your mods together.

2) The ZHP cam retrofit kit (found at ECS Tuning) will only work with the newer MS 45 ECU (2003+). You can e-mail Active Autowerke and see if their flash will allow for these cams to be used.

3) Any catless header will throw a code. However, getting an Active Autowerke tune will eliminate the need for the post-cat O2 sensor and get rid of that SES light. I also suggest going with BimmerBrakes.com's headers. They're a little more expensive than eBay headers, but the quality is SO much greater. No lips, no harsh welds... I have them on my car (also had them Jet-Hot coated) and they definitely added some pep (along with a sweet sound).

EDIT: Get rid of the CDV now. Right now. Go out there and do it. You'll be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Suprisingly enough, that Camaro pulls .9 on the skid pad, it handles like its on a rail. Don't think I would take it o Road America though, that track is brutal on cars! As is any road course. So, in all fairness, with our limited access to area for racing, my Z28 should get a jump and be even with my coworkers BMW, until high speeds? I don't imagine we will be able to get up to more that 60 or 70 before we both have to slam on our brakes. I am pretty tempted to throw a small nitrous kit on it, maybe a 75 or 100 shot, something to get it really going after 60 or 70.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Suprisingly enough, that Camaro pulls .9 on the skid pad, it handles like its on a rail. Don't think I would take it o Road America though, that track is brutal on cars! As is any road course. So, in all fairness, with our limited access to area for racing, my Z28 should get a jump and be even with my coworkers BMW, until high speeds? I don't imagine we will be able to get up to more that 60 or 70 before we both have to slam on our brakes. I am pretty tempted to throw a small nitrous kit on it, maybe a 75 or 100 shot, something to get it really going after 60 or 70.
Putting a 75 to 100 shot of nitrous on any car is going to get it going WELL below 60 to 70 MPH. :rofl:

A 1991 Camaro Z28 pulled a 0.9G? Did they coat the tires with super glue? :hmm: Link me to the source of that information, please! I'd like to read about that.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I think you'll will, I saw this when I road in my buddies with 350hp and he switched highways at wot scared tge piss out of me felt as fast other bodies 500hp supra awesome car they are rare hopefully they will bring them back rx8s r ok but I don't like tge rear doors and odd shape and lackbof turbos

·
:D
7,701 Posts
Putting a 75 to 100 shot of nitrous on any car is going to get it going WELL below 60 to 70 MPH. :rofl:

A 1991 Camaro Z28 pulled a 0.9G? Did they coat the tires with super glue? :hmm: Link me to the source of that information, please! I'd like to read about that.
My dad owned one way back when and told me it had similar specs to the lotus esprit. He said it was definitely a good handling car. Other than that gen iroc I'm not sure any other camaro was praised for handling.
http://www.thirdgen.org/1985-chevy-camaro

There ya go. 5th paragraph. Iroc-z28 capable of .88-.92G with stock tires

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
My Iroc-Z with a carbed 305 and 5 speed ran 15.3 with full exhaust, intake, ignition and suspension mods.

Sooo you should be fine. I dont think he can pull anything over a 14.8 which is around 330i times :thumbsup:

Z28 has 95k :p

230hp, 300tq.

230hp out of a 305 motor is pretty good, I would say. It's a fast car, and was really well mantained as well. It has the 350 heads and cam package, 2.5" exhaust, and a posi rear end. It also was equipped with the World Class T-5.
just cause its got 350 heads doesnt mean anything. Alot of 350 heads didnt flow any better than 305 heads and had wayyyy bigger Combustion chambers. So youll lose power.

WC T5 vs nonWC is nothing except that the world class are stronger. barely.

1) EDIT: Get rid of the CDV now. Right now. Go out there and do it. You'll be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner.
+1,000,000,000

Iroc-Zs "could" pull .92 right outta the factory, but without subframe connectors no 3rd gen from 85-92 is going to do that today. With 17x9 275/40/17 setup from 4th gen SS .92 was easily ubtainable.

thats all we have to brag about is that skidpad number which in real life doesnt equal balls. Iroc-z handle awesome compared to other cars from the 80s. And the only time that high skidpad number is gonna help is on an oval track.

That and the skill level required to put a camaro around corners is much higher than an E46.

Also consider that nearly 58% of the weight of a camaro is sitting on the front wheels. When it does break loose its either plowing through the turn or the backend is coming out. On a 50/50 car like an E46 the car likes to slide all wheels evenly for the most part.

I have an 86 with a ton of chassis and suspension work. handles awesome, but not nearly as tossable as my e46. It might out "grip" it on long hard turns but that solid rear keeps it from being anywhere close to as agile.

My camaro, page not up to date but close:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3133308/1986-chevrolet-camaro

1 - 16 of 16 Posts