E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm going to be installing AE's on my 2002 330i, and wanted your opinions on what I'm thinking of doing.

This is my first mod for my car, so what I think sounds good in my head might not actually look good on my car.

I have the stock xenon low beams and the stock halogen DRL (high beams). My idea is to put xenon-look halogens in for the DRL and not disable them after the AE install. I think it has the potential to look good, but also maybe not...thoughts? From what I can tell, most people disable the DRL after installing AE?

I've also (partially) installed an LED kit for the interior. Partially because of the resistance problem causing the lights to not come one when resistance is too low. l'm thinking that if I wire my AE's into that circuit (possible?) so that they come on when doors are unlocked/opened then that would solve the resistance issue and look sweet. If anyone has wired the AE's like this I'd love to hear any tips you have.

Of course I would want the AE's to be "always on" in addition to coming on with the interior.

Sorry for the lengthy post, and thanks in advance for your thoughts/opinions!

p.s. the angel eyes and xenon-look lights are from Khoalty

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The AEs are going to allow some current flow, but not nearly as much as your stock interior bulbs did. You might be best off installing resistors to solve the issue with them turning on.

Your middle headlights shouldn't be your high beams... your high beams are built into the xenons on the outside. The inside bulbs should be DRL and flasher only. It could look good with the AEs, that is entirely subjective. Give it a shot and see if you like it.

Most AEs (including the ones from Khoalty) are going to be a 6000K temperature. I believe the "HID Look" bulbs you are talking about are 7500K. It is completely up to you whether or not the color mismatch is acceptable. I wouldn't do it, but I'm pretty picky. It should be a very minor difference between 6000K and 7500K, both will be bright white with a hint of blue.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,960 Posts
the DRL are run at 1/2 wattage and when you put a blue-ish bulb in there it doesn't come on bright enough to show it's higher spectrum color range.

so basically, DRL's when swapped with a different bulb still don't change much at all when lighted. but it will reflect the bulbs glass color in the reflector when not lit in the daytime.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the DRL are run at 1/2 wattage and when you put a blue-ish bulb in there it doesn't come on bright enough to show it's higher spectrum color range.

so basically, DRL's when swapped with a different bulb still don't change much at all when lighted. but it will reflect the bulbs glass color in the reflector when not lit in the daytime.
Thank you for this. I'd been noticing that the DRL's were still yellowish, but as high beams they had the nice whitish look. Didn't know that the DRL were just run at 1/2 wattage and that this would cause the "HID look" bulbs to still look yellowish.

Any way to change this? by that I mean is there any way to get the white look out of my DRL? Otherwise maybe I'm just better off disabling them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.