BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you park your car....open your car door......stay in the car....close the car door.....then lock the car with the keypad......there is no way to unlock the car from inside without using the keypad. The door latches disconnect, and the power locks are disabled. This is scary.......

1. If someone is "waiting for you" in the car....you get out, close the door and lock it with the keypad....they have no way out.

2. If you for some reason opened the car door.....locked it with the keypad.....threw your keys outside, got back in the car and shut the door....you are SOL!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I remember reading something on this topic either on this forum or another bmw forum. They were out drinking, having fun, etc. One of the friends pass out in the car, and they were too tired to carry him into the house so just lock him in the car. Sometime in the middle of the night, he sober up and try to unlock the doors, but no luck. Long story short, he broke the windsheild to escape. :tsk:

·
yuppie racing
1,902 Posts
one time I got in a fight with my now ex girlfriend in the bimmer. She was yelling at me and then told me to get out of my car. I couldnt believe she was kicking me out of my own automobile. I got out, closed the door and locked her in...

·
Registered
268 Posts
bender said:
what about the button next to the hazards
I was thinking the same thing..how could you lock yourself "inside" since you can always press the button next to the hazard and unlock the doors...unless the mechanism fails.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Nevermind my post...figured it out. Didn't know that that could happen...I think my dealer mentioned something about it....that is scary :eeps:

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,319 Posts
bmwti said:
one time I got in a fight with my now ex girlfriend in the bimmer. She was yelling at me and then told me to get out of my car. I couldnt believe she was kicking me out of my own automobile. I got out, closed the door and locked her in...
:thumbup:

·
Registered
149 Posts
If a person in its own motor vehicle is locked, isn't it possible to somewhat dangerously it, in order to produce itself? Once that this produced itself, it, which can it be started the motor vehicle led by the key of the wallet, is bringing by drive to the motor vehicle seller?

·
Big in Japan
1,359 Posts
hence bmw "double locking doors" the point being someone cant jimmy the car or press that button somehow and unlock all the car doors. Its a security thing.

·
I know all about that...
2,215 Posts
I swear I've done that and the person inside just pressed the unlock button next to the hazards and it opened. I will have to check that out...:confused:

·
Registered
444 Posts
I wonder if you even checked before you wrote this post. If you lock the car with the remote the door handles nolonger work but all you have to do is press the door lock button next to the hazards and you can double pull the door handles to open the car just as if you got in the car and started driving having the doors auto lock and then stop pull the door handle twice and you are out. If you had thought about this at all you would realise that having a car that is totaly unopenable from the inside is just dumb it is something I think even GM would not do.

·
Unregistered User
446 Posts
bmwti said:
i wouldn't recommend that... who knows what a mad girl can do to the interior.... :eek:

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I dont think number two can work. I'm pretty sure there is no possible way to lock the driver door with the door open no matter what. Reason being so u dont lock the keys inside. So in order for two to work out with the end result being you SOL, you would have to crack the window a tiny bit (enough to slip a key through but not a hand or arm) then sit in your car, lock it from the keypad, slide the key out the window and then you are screwed but you would have to be an idiot to somehow accidently pull this off and then you'd deserve to be locked in. BMW is good with some things. One story I read on here was about a couple and their wagon at the gas station. They left the key in the car and got out and were locked out somehow and realized the cat had walked on the central lock button in the car and locked them out haha.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I remember a couple years ago going to lunch with someone and this happened to me. I was shotgun and he drove. He got out of the car as I bent forward to pick some stuff off the floorboard on the passengers side. Next thing I know he's handing his keys to the valet parking dude and the car is locked and I couldn't get out. Good for a joke I suppose, but it would suck if your kid got stuck in there.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts