E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend just copy and pasted this said it was from M3 forum. I don't know if it's legit but thought i'd share and see if anyone can clear it up.

article = no more MT even on 3ers and z4...

"A few weeks back we predicted the six-speed manual BMW transmission will become a thing of the past.

This week it was confirmed by the BMW product manager in Autoweek

Source: Autoweek

BMW's Formula One-style gearbox may become only performance transmission option

Do you like the stick shift and the clutch pedal in your BMW M car? Enjoy it now because the folks in Munich have seen the future and it's called SMG (as in Sequential Manual Gearbox).
The company's second-generation SMG is an option on the M3, and the next-generation M5 will also feature the Formula One racing-style paddle shifters, sans the traditional clutch pedal and gearshift lever. According to Rolf Scheibner, product manager for M cars, it won't be long before SMG is the only transmission option for the performance cars. "

·
Registered
205 Posts
say it aint so!! I want to be a BMW customer forever, now I may be forced to switch :bawling: :bawling: :cry: :wowee: :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Ugh. Is this for real? What kind of cars are we supposed to drive now??? I guess an M3 really -isn't- in my future. :bawling:

·
Registered
205 Posts
i know the manual transmission will never die in Europe, but here, who knows :dunno:

·
Like school on a Sunday...
693 Posts
At the very least, I'll be able to tell people the reason I didn't buy an M3 was because they didn't have the manual option (that I can't afford one is no longer important ;) ).

·
needs a new sig...
3,375 Posts
its ok, gives all of us all the more reason to remain E46 fanatics and mod these cars until they die who needs a new car anyway, old technology is fine for me, i mean there are tons of vintage bmw owners out there, oneday owning an e46 will be a great accomplishment

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.