E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
The fact that the temperature jumps around so much could be either the thermostat not operating correctly (could be the cause looking at the thermostat connector) or the coolant temp sensor. The only way to see if it is the thermostat is to change it. However there is an easy way to check if it's the temp sensor. The coolant temp sensor (way down the back of the head under the intake manifold) is the same sensor (part no.) as the oil temp sensor on the oil filter housing. There are two sensors on the OFH, temp and pressure. Temp is the top one that pokes out the side (not out the back) and is a probe type sensor. Swap the two temp sensors around and see if you have the same problem. Doesn't cost you anything, but is a bit of a pain to get to the coolant temp sensor.

However, looking at the theromostat plug, a betting man would point to that as the cause. The thermostat is electrically operated, and if not getting a good connection, the engine temp might fluctuate, and give the indications you have.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Piece of advice buying all the parts in Oz. I found it much cheaper to just import them from the US. I did what you are doing a couple of years ago. Far cheaper to get them from AutohauzAZ or pelican parts.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
I can't remember exactly, but I can remember doing the sums. I worked out that if I spent $200 in Oz, that was the break even point. Anything beyond that, it was getting much cheaper to import. Some stuff was a quarter of the price. I was buying from HSY parts in Sydney, which was the cheapest I could find.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.