1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
325i Touring
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi team,
Annoying topic but here we go again.
I'm in the process of rebuilding my M54B30, currently putting together a last few batches of part orders and have run into an unexpected issue with the availability of sensors.
The main one I'm struggling with is the Intake Camshaft Position Sensor - 12147539165 - VNE (OE) is unavailable from FCP & RockAuto and my other go-to shops don't stock VNE ones at all. Luckily, FCP still seems to have the Exhaust side one available. There's heaps of options available from a range of other reputable brands - Hella, Meyle, FAE, NGK, Febi, Delphi, you name it... I've gone through the extra effort and expense to make sure all the replacement components in my build are OE quality and the sensors would have been top of the list of things to keep original, unfortunately in this case it seems a bit of a challenge.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Parallel

So the question is, what's the best course of action? Reuse the old, original one for the time being and hope the VNE ones become available again, or go with one of the reputable OEM ones and call it a day? Are any of the other brand ones known to be reliable at all?
And no, I'm not paying three times over the odds for a single sensor. Thanks for offering.

·
Registered
325i Touring
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did some search and found something.
Make sure they have it in stock before ordering.
Thanks mate. Have tried them before but they don't offer shipping to New Zealand so is a no go.
FCP Euro, RockAuto, Spareto, Schmiedmann & ECS Tuning are the shops I usually go with. First two are out of stock on VNE ones, the latter three don't carry VNE ones at all.

·
Premium Member
7,776 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I have good experience with Metzger camshaft sensors for M54. They do have 2 lines. OE-line and aftermarket-line. For M54 I used OE-line and 2 years later still no issues.

Reactions: Vass

·
Registered
325i Touring
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Has the old one failed?

They seldom do...
No, not a hard fail anyway. I figured I'd best replace all the main sensors since I'm doing a full engine rebuild anyway... Might be OTT.
Got a reply from FCP saying the VNE ones are no longer available at all so assume they're not coming back in stock. Might just reuse the old one then with a new O-ring. Or just cough up the $120...

·
Registered
195 Posts
G’day

You could try Clickable, here in Oz. Not sure if they ship to NZ, contact Lucas and see what they can do.
I’ve bought plenty of stuff from them over the years, altought I also use similar ones as you do from overseas Fcp, ECS etc.
I was in same boat as you few years ago and ended up trying this one on one of my e46s.
Havnt had a drama, no codes since when looking with pa soft Bmw scanner, inpa etc.

I normally use clickable for a few certain items, original exp tanks etc and other bits and pieces. The sensor in the description further down the page states it’s had logo removed etc.
Interestingly Mr M Car gave some good insight on a post a while ago, regarding those industrious little Chinese chaps now even copying this process of removing the logo etc to trick buyers etc.

·
Premium Member
7,776 Posts
Since replacing my camshaft sensor with Febi (which was repackaged delphi) my car takes just a split second longer to crank.

Other than that it has worked for about a year now.
I've had the same issue with a Febi intake cam sensor, not always but sometimes a split second longer to crank. Replaced with a genuine one, - €164 at dealership counter, and never had that issue again

·
Registered
37 Posts
FCPEuro usually list out country of origin of the products they well. If I remember correctly, "OE" means "original equipment" by the manufacturer which BMW works with. It is because BMW does not and cannot make every single component. I recently replaced the front headlight leveling sensor and the cylinder head coolant temp sensors on my 330Ci. Both sensors are made by VNE (an OE manufacturer) and made in Germany. The pictures are for your reference.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts