BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,531 Posts
It wasn't about correcting YOU.
Just wanted clarity for posterity.

In this crazy internet based world we live in nowadays. Say something (be it wrong?) on the internet 3 times and it magically becomes fact. F-ed up.

·
Registered
966 Posts
No worries, and I agree...If I post or suggest something wrong, I'd prefer to see it corrected. I am interested in a chemical way to treat clogged oil rings, and am happy to see some people have some success with it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
What do you guys think of Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver? I know I'll eventually have to get the oil pan gasket and the rear main seal replaced, the thing is I also want to install an upgraded oil pump and an oil pan baffle, since I intend to keep this car for a long time and track it as much as I can. I don't want to spend all that money at once just yet, so I was thinking of giving that product a shot and see if my leaks get better.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've personally use LM Oil Saver on the brothers subaru (they all leak) and it's helped his rear main seal leak ever so slightly. Keep in mind it takes 500-800 miles to work and it only works about 50% of the time - So don't get your hopes up. It doesn't increase the viscosity by much though so you don't have to worry about those tiny vanos holes getting clogged. It'd be worth a shot.

Btw, LM Pro-line engine flush fixed my oil burning problem completely for a little while but then it came back ever so slightly. When it came back I used BG 109 EPR and haven't had the problem since. I feel like (no evidence) the BG 109 did a better job. The car even felt slightly quicker off the line. Also, the LM Flush was extremely thin, like kerosene while the BG 109 EPR had more lubricity to it - which leads me to believe it'd be less harsh on the bearings.

TLDR; given the choice, I'd recommend BG 109 EPR over LM Engine Flush, even with the added cost.

·
Registered
E39 E90 E46 F10
4,919 Posts
Liqui Moly engine flush for sure. I’ve now had success with 3 different engines with that stuff. Works great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK I'll add to this. 2001 330Ci, 115K miles at my time of purchase a few years ago, currently 123K miles. Not completely neglected but the P.O. wasn't capable of DIY maintenance and had no maintenance records, so wasn't sure the state of things past oil running out of the VCG and OFHG, and I trusted that I could work out the bugs. First I changed the VCG and OFHG. Oil consumption seemed to be a quart about every 800 or so miles. No CELs, so no vacuum leaks. CCV next on the list - Replace the CCV and at the same time, run a can of LM Pro-Line through it (with the new CCV in place...). Was running Pentosyn LL01 5w-30 with the 800 mi. / qt. consumption. Prior to this, frequent oil changes and different 5w-30 synthetics or Mobil1 0w-40 did not change oil consumption.

Post CCV / engine flush and refill with 5w-40 Leightlauf and 1,000 miles in, no oil consumption. No difference in running, though the tailpipe now is clean. I do try to load up the rings every now and then with both short fast pulls and longer high gear pulls, so not sure exactly what all may be contributing to a bit of success with this.

Before my next oil change I will pour in 1 qt of ATF or Marvel, run it for a few miles, flush again with LM Pro-Line, and am hoping that the engine will clean itself up to a baseline that can be maintained going forward. Note that I've had a seized M30 that I broke loose by pouring Marvel Mystery Oil into the spark plug holes, so am certain that that lubricant will work for ring issues.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts