BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...

So let's see how good you are...

I have a 2000 328i (tu). When I bought it the intake Cam sensor was dead - car drove like crap. No EML but INPA showed dead CPS - occurence like 500+ times..! So Swapped with cheapo Ebay CPS. worked like a dream for about 30 miles then died. However, swapped again with slightly less cheapo CPS, which works fine, BUT dies occasionally. The thing is that is confusing me, is that it can be "reset"...

The scenario is, if I start the car (any temp) and it fires up in <6 cylinders worth of cranking, (usually 2 or 3) It's great, all works fine - this can happen for weeks on end. However, now and then the car will crank say 5 or 6 cylinders, cough and miss, then crank another 4 cyls and fire up - if I drive after this the CPS is down. If I knock it off before it fires up and do the throttle pedal reset procedure, or pull over and do it if I've driven it - it resets the CPS EVERY time and it drives fine again. INPA confirms the amount of fails with the "coughs", and that it drops out at around 200rpm / 10 volts which shows it's when cranking.

SO.. any ideas? why the hell would cranking kill the CPS? and why does the throttle pedal reset trick reset it...!??

Thanks from a (confused) newbie! :banghead:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well - I assumed it was the voltage received at the CPS while the battery was cranking (the voltage reading is at 200rpm) - so I wasn't concerned with the drop... car cranks like a good'un, no battery or starting issues or running with lights etc. The car is my daily and there's no other issues except for this posessed CPS..! Thanks

·
Registered
Best M5 Ever Made!
6,738 Posts
If you learned how to search the web, then you should be able to search this forum, upon which you'll find that there is about a 100% recommendation on using ONLY Original BMW Parts Camshaft Position Sensors. Aftermarket parts are extremely weak, if not ineffective completely in this area.

Your obvious problems are why. Go get the proper CPSs from the dealer and be done with guesswork.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah yeah - i know... No dealers around locally and interweb not too helpful sourcing the genuine sensor unless shipping in from the states. Can get a Bosch one for £50 ish though - so may try that. The main thing was the ability to "reset" the issue with the key and without fail... I can't get my head around it.

·
Registered
Best M5 Ever Made!
6,738 Posts
Oh, sorry, I didn't see where you were from.

Does getbmwparts.com ship internationally?

Just paid $236 for both of them from a local dealer here in Rhode Island (warwick) including my BMW CCA discount. They have gone up in price significantly since I had to buy new ones for my car a few years ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the recommendation - I'll take a look. Meanwhile I'll continue to enjoy the inevitable quirks of a thousand quid BMW...!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts