E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just did my first automatic transmission drain/filter/fill on a 2001 with 138k miles, I was one of those who swallowed the "lifetime fill" pill whole. What a pain in the :censor:

I was only able to fill in 6 quarts before it started dribbling out (after getting up to temp and cycling through the gears)

Do you guys think I should drain and fill again? After how long? My concern is that there is still a couple of quarts of the old motor-oil-looking fluid rolling around in there.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
What did the "lifetime" fluid look like? If it was dark then I'd drive the car for a few thousand miles and repeat the procedure, including the filter. If the old fluid still had a tinge of red then I'd drive the car a few thousand miles and drain/replenish the fluid. Btw, do the maintenance records show any previous drain/refills?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
E46 F10 W204 W212
5,311 Posts
So I just did my first automatic transmission drain/filter/fill on a 2001 with 138k miles, I was one of those who swallowed the "lifetime fill" pill whole. What a pain in the :censor:

I was only able to fill in 6 quarts before it started dribbling out (after getting up to temp and cycling through the gears)

Do you guys think I should drain and fill again? After how long? My concern is that there is still a couple of quarts of the old motor-oil-looking fluid rolling around in there.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:
On a ZF? Sounds right. I've done it several times and I've put in 6, maybe a hair over. The rest of it is still in the TC.

I agree with the others though. Do it again in a few thousand miles to make sure it's all out. After you get to mull the day's events the next time will be much easier.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

lszlszx: The oil looked like used motor oil, I still have it in the garage.
Solidjake: No significant metal shavings (THANK THE BAVARIAN GODS!) just the expected metal sludge on the magnets.
markusmarkus: A few thousand... I was thinking a couple of weeks. That way I wouldn't need to pull the pan/filter again.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Solidjake, I drove it around the block and it shifted normally. I was not having issues with my transmission before, which is why I decided to do the change ASAP.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I just ordered 6 more qts of Redline and I figured I would do a drain and fill when it gets here in a couple of days.
Will post photos of oil when I comes out (for the second time)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.