BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my oil changed maybe 2500 miles ago. Could it be that my oil is low? what level should the oil be at on my dipstick? any other reasons this would be happening?

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,671 Posts
should be at the top notch of ur dip stick.

are u sure u added enough oil after the oil change?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was the dealership who performed the service.... i hope they did lol

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,671 Posts
If they did the service, bring it back to them, if its low on oil, they will fill it. if ther is any other problems, and ur car is under warranty, they should take care of everything.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should drive the car with the oil light on? The dealership is only 15 min. away.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,151 Posts
bring it back to the dealer

tell them about the yellow light. maybe they just not reset it that
happen to me with my car . it is no big deal if that what it is.
good luck with it. don't worry about it.
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ok make sure you are checking your oil level right after turning off the car.

Is it at top notch less than 2min after you stopped the engine?

If it's not, add oil. If it is, then something's awry with the sensor. Go take it into your dealership.

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,336 Posts
Theres a thing called an owners manual, use it. The same light came on for me a couple days ago, it just means the oil is running low, go buy some and fill it up. Don't waste the dealers time.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i called the dealer, they said they'd take care of it for me tomorrow along with some other issues i'm having with the car.

How is this wasting the dealer's time? The car malfunctions, its their problem to deal with it. Should I take offense to your post? or did I read it wrong?

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,336 Posts
If the car is malfunctioning its not wasting time but if your car just needed oil it would be b/c thats somethign anyone who owns a car should be able to do.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Being a mustang owner I'm pretty handy around the mechanicals of a car... :)... I do have some other problems with other parts of the 330 however.

My sunroof creaks alot when i'm going over bumps, my driver's door lock wont let me open and close the windows, and my rear subs on the HK distort alot. Are these problems common?

I'm a little shocked to see that a $40K+ car has a chassis that seems to deflect more than my mustangs.... I mean I dont get this much noise in my mustang when I go over bumps... in the 330 it sounds like someone is trying to bend the car in half and the pivot is where the sunroof is.

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,336 Posts
Yes some people seem to have all the problems you mentioned. Luckily I have not expierenced them so far (knock on wood)

·
booo for body roll.
3,423 Posts
i kinda agree with both of you. like some obvious questions i smack myself over the head for.

"my oil light came on"
... well put in oil?

but for the other problems, they occur in my car and i would definitely take it to the dealer for that.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Hey, it's BMW's responsibility to fill the oil for you. They claim their oil can last 15k miles, well then, let's see it. Also, since they are using synthetic, that isn't cheap oil. My new '03 325i was down 1 quart after just 4500 miles.
Sure, it's not a big issue as I am very handy with tools and auto repair. However, if I have to put in 1 quart every 4500 miles, I'll have to put in 3 quarts BEFORE BMW even does the first oil change. That's about $12-$16 depending on oil price. Besides, it's their warranty thus it's their problem to keep it filled.

Of course, for practical reasons I keep my oil filled on my time and dime as my dealer is too far away to waste time with this oil use issue. But, if the dealer is near by and you choose to take it to them, it certainly IS their responsibility and it's NOT a waste of the dealers time. They get paid for it by BMW.

Read the manual, the yellow light is not a big issue. Just fill the oil when you get a chance or when you can get it to the dealer.

BTW, I've ridden/driven in Mustangs and your comment comparing the rigidity of the two is WAAAAAY OFF! The Mushtang is not even close to the 3 series in terms of tight structure. You have a sunroof that needs to be adjusted.
Any and all cars with sunroofs can have this same issue. It is a common "weakened" area where stresses can manifest if the sunroof has a problem that needs to be addressed. Other than that, the Mushtang can't even hold a candle to the 3 series in rigidity and structurally sound construction.

TT

·
Registered
61 Posts
DGI said:
I'm a little shocked to see that a $40K+ car has a chassis that seems to deflect more than my mustangs.... I mean I dont get this much noise in my mustang when I go over bumps...
SST is right on the mark. :thumbup: The Mustang flexes much more than the Bimmer. There is probably a lot more road noise and wind noise in the Ford that is masking a lot of noise. Or, you may have gotten one of the better Fords and one of the worse BMWs. :yikes: My 330ci has a few distinct rattles (headliner, for instance) that I'd never hear if I'd just turn up the radio or if it was in most any other car. I've had many BMWs, and this one, so far, is the worst as far as annoying noises goes. :cry:

Michael

1 - 15 of 15 Posts