BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 exhaust is so quiet, sometimes I have to roll down the windows to make sure the engine is on.

My exhaust on the 01 (completely stock) was so loud that I used to get complaints from the neighbors. Is there a break in period for the 330 exhaust to get louder? But then again even with 5k miles, the car is more than a year old. :dunno:

·
Registered
394 Posts
The 330 exhaust is not loud at all, I mean even my zhp exhaust is not that loud. I think a z350 or G35 has a louder exhaust.

·
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ChosenGSR said:
The 330 exhaust is not loud at all, I mean even my zhp exhaust is not that loud. I think a z350 or G35 has a louder exhaust.

I know its not considered loud by modded standards but my 330 now is very very quiet.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
10chi said:
I know its not considered loud by modded standards but my 330 now is very very quiet.

Get B&B triflo. You won't hear anything except rumbling in your ears.
Oh and you may have some eggs thrown at your car while you are driving thru the quite neighborhood :)

·
Banned
6,697 Posts
10chi said:
My 03 exhaust is so quiet, sometimes I have to roll down the windows to make sure the engine is on.
Disable you exhaust valve (takes 1 minute and it's free), and look into getting either your 2nd resonator or both cut-out and replaced with straight pipes (run you $40-$60)

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,376 Posts
Yeah, you should hear (or not, because you won't) mine.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
no you cant do that to a 328. there'd be even less reason for a 328 to have a valve than a 325 due to the single inlet

·
Registered
571 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Sorry to sorta hijack this thread, but...do I need to worry about rain or snow melting into where the hose was disconnected from. I also searched the forum that said how to do this, and was unable to find out it if anyone had any ill long term effects from this (kinda) mod.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I just did it to mine, plugged it with a bolt, it's only 3/4's of the way in, but I'm working on it. I took the car out for about 20 minutes around town and there was most definately a slight increase in low rumble, but not always detectable in different gears and speeds. Most noticable in the lower rpm's imo. esp. 1st.

·
Registered
503 Posts
10chi said:

My exhaust on the 01 (completely stock) was so loud that I used to get complaints from the neighbors. Is there a break in period for the 330 exhaust to get louder? But then again even with 5k miles, the car is more than a year old. :dunno:
yeah i know what your talking about. i have a 2001 330ci and its pretty loud for it being stock but sounds nice. my first gear and idle is when its loudest usually. i dont think they changed up the cats or any part of the exhaust for the 04's but i can be wrong. just wait it out for awhile, maybe like you said it will get louder after break in period

·
Registered
571 Posts
Anyone got ideas on rain or snow melt going into where we unplugged the hose from???

·
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
u know....come to think of it....

I took my 01 330 in cuz of strange metallic rattling noise. they said it was that exhaust valve (it wasn't cuz I still had it) they said they did something to it. maybe thats why the exhaust was louder. I am gonna see about doing that to my 03

thanks fellas!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
sarah connor said:
probably not detectable because thats probably when the flap usually opens and you're used to it
I believe the flap closes at low rpm and speed because of possible noise pollution. I would think it would open up at higher speeds when it doesn't matter as much.. maybe i'm wrong but it's what i heard.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts