E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there (Californians) try xylene to bump to 93 octane or more for our blown cars?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey solid, you are from the bay area yea? we should meet up sometime. Im there from time to time since my girlfriend lives there as well as all my other friends. Maybe come out to private runs :thumbup:

fix your sig, arent you blown now? :p

Solid said:
lol nice video :), I liked the comments at the end :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
No, i'm not from the bay area.

Yea, i'm blown now,but my vaccum hoses weren't installed correctly. I have an appt this Saturday to fix things, and get a dyno. I'll change my sig, when everything is installed right, and my gauges are put in. :)

yafool said:
Hey solid, you are from the bay area yea? we should meet up sometime. Im there from time to time since my girlfriend lives there as well as all my other friends. Maybe come out to private runs :thumbup:

fix your sig, arent you blown now? :p

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Home brew octane boosters? It's easy conceptually. But you will probably need to get it in drum size, mix it, and bottled up for smaller dosages. Or you can pay $8 to grab a bottle. ;)

I tried Trick Octane Booster and I felt the difference. See my review on Rennsport forum.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since all the cars in my garage are FI and need higher octane, we already bought about 10 gallons of that stuff. 30 bucks for 5 gallon drum. DOnt really need to mix it that well. We calculated that a 15 to 1 ratio should bump the 91 to around 93. So after we fill up, drive for about 20 miles, then put in a full gallon of xylene. comes out to be paying around 2.80 for 93 octane. Will let you guys know how the car runs. Also thinking about mixing in other cleaner agents

Mr Paddle.Shift said:
Home brew octane boosters? It's easy conceptually. But you will probably need to get it in drum size, mix it, and bottled up for smaller dosages. Or you can pay $8 to grab a bottle. ;)

I tried Trick Octane Booster and I felt the difference. See my review on Rennsport forum.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yafool,

I would be very careful with Xylene. I am an engineer in the oil and gas industry and xylene is one of the core components of corrosion inhibitors in downhole equipment. It is highly carcenogenic.....talking to our chemical reps i would ensure you handle it with the upmost precaution, ie. gloves, eyeprotection, mask, and even a respirator. Also avoid any spills, he said that it would eat the paint off your car. I am assuming it is the same stuff, or maybe it is a blended mix for cars already. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
yes toluene and xylene 2 core components of corrosion inhibitors.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it hurts at $6+ a gallon for 104. :cry:

Not to mention, i need to mix that at a much higher ration since xylene is at 117 octane, one to 15 is enough. At 104, i would need to mix more to get to 93. Still would need to calculate how much 104 is needed. Yea, must be very very careful with this "paint thinner" Thanks for the imput guys.
Technik said:
yafool: Since you're in LA, take a trip to gas station on 7th street in Brentwood and fill up some 104 unleaded.

·
XXXX
557 Posts
Some information that could potentially help:

Formula #1 - Toluene
R+M/2.........114
Cost...........$2.50/gal

Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...........94.2 Octane
20%...........96.4 Octane
30%...........98.6 Octane

Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.

Formula #2 - Xylene
R+M/2.........117
Cost...........$2.75/gal

10%...........94.5 Octane
20%...........97.0 Octane
30%...........99.5 Octane

Notes: Similar to Toluene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, ie. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toluene and advertised as *race formula*.

Formula #3 - Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
R+M/2.........118
Cost...........$3.50/gal

10%...........94.6 Octane
20%...........97.2 Octane
30%...........99.8 Octane

Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTU ontent than toluene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy.

Formula #4 - Methanol or Ethanol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60 - $1.75/gal

10%...........94.3 Octane (Methanol)
10%...........94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
20%...........Not Recommended

Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combine with water.

Formula #5 - Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60-$1.50/gal

10%...........94.5 Octane
20%...........Not Recommended
30%...........Not Recommended

Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing alcohol.

Sample Mixture

To make your own octane booster, it is easiest to make up a large batch, and then bottle it up in "dosage-size" uses. Below is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products. To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):

100 oz of toluene for octane boost
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)

This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.