BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this is a very easy install but i didn't see any posts regarding it so i decided to make this thread. i got the 5000K kit yesterday and put it on today. procedure was very simple. only took me about 45 mins, with most of that time deciding where to mount the ballasts and cleaning out my fog light housings (they somehow acquired dirt).

1. remove bumper. refer to this DIY: http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/howtodetail.php?howto_id=40

2. mount ballasts. i chose to mount them against the sides of the front plastic radiator air foil, thingie. fits almost pefectly. i secured the ballasts with the 2-sided foam tape included in the kit and 1 screw. if you notice in the pictures, i also notched a groove in the bottom splash guard to run the wires through so they wouldn't get pinched when the bumper was re-installed. try to mount the ballast as far back and as high as you can in the space. if you do it correctly, when re-installing the bumper, the brake ducts will snuggly rest against the ballast and further secure it against its mounting location. there's no way that sucker's getting loose.

3. be sure to connect the wite extensions if you plan to mount the ballast in this location. the extra length is needed.

4. plug every up and re-install the bumper.

i drove around for about an hour after the install and i couldn't be happier with the kit. light output is very bright, with a light blue tinge. i can safely drive on the highway without my headlights. although the 5000K fogs don't match my stock 4300 low beams, i don't really care. the combination on the road is pleasing to my eyes. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
ttran said:
i know this is a very easy install but i didn't see any posts regarding it so i decided to make this thread. i got the 5000K kit yesterday and put it on today. procedure was very simple. only took me about 45 mins, with most of that time deciding where to mount the ballasts and cleaning out my fog light housings (they somehow acquired dirt).

1. remove bumper. refer to this DIY: http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/howtodetail.php?howto_id=40

2. mount ballasts. i chose to mount them against the sides of the front plastic radiator air foil, thingie. fits almost pefectly. i secured the ballasts with the 2-sided foam tape included in the kit and 1 screw. if you notice in the pictures, i also notched a groove in the bottom splash guard to run the wires through so they wouldn't get pinched when the bumper was re-installed. try to mount the ballast as far back and as high as you can in the space. if you do it correctly, when re-installing the bumper, the brake ducts will snuggly rest against the ballast and further secure it against its mounting location. there's no way that sucker's getting loose.

3. be sure to connect the wite extensions if you plan to mount the ballast in this location. the extra length is needed.

4. plug every up and re-install the bumper.

i drove around for about an hour after the install and i couldn't be happier with the kit. light output is very bright, with a light blue tinge. i can safely drive on the highway without my headlights. although the 5000K fogs don't match my stock 4300 low beams, i don't really care. the combination on the road is pleasing to my eyes. :)
Looks awsome.
Is it really necessary to take off the bumper?
Have you taken it off just to be able to mount the ballasts better?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
proveg said:
Looks awsome.
Is it really necessary to take off the bumper?
Have you taken it off just to be able to mount the ballasts better?
well, i guess it's not absolutely necessary but i decided to remove the bumper to find a suitable location that would be protected from the elements. i know the ballasts are sealed but i still worry about water splashing onto it. and besides, removing the bumper isn't hard at all. <10 mins.

·
Registered
126 Posts
ttran said:
well, i guess it's not absolutely necessary but i decided to remove the bumper to find a suitable location that would be protected from the elements. i know the ballasts are sealed but i still worry about water splashing onto it. and besides, removing the bumper isn't hard at all. <10 mins.
the DIY estimates 45 min.
I guess that depends on if you got all your tools ready to go and have an assistant as well as have done this before.

I say if you can, go for the extra step to insure quality work.

Where did you get them and how much?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
proveg said:
the DIY estimates 45 min.
I guess that depends on if you got all your tools ready to go and have an assistant as well as have done this before.

I say if you can, go for the extra step to insure quality work.

Where did you get them and how much?
well, i've removed my bumper quite a few times, often for fun. yes, i get bored easily. so i've become quite adept at removing the bumper, which is the only real laborious task in this install. those that havent done so might want to double the time.

·
Registered
239 Posts
fog install

I have the same kit and am trying to mount the ballasts behind the bumper. I have a 323ci, can the kit be done w/o removing bumper. I looked at it over the weekend with the belly pan off. I still could not gain enough room to put in the ballasts. Any ideas :hmm:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
backdoc said:
I have the same kit and am trying to mount the ballasts behind the bumper. I have a 323ci, can the kit be done w/o removing bumper. I looked at it over the weekend with the belly pan off. I still could not gain enough room to put in the ballasts. Any ideas :hmm:
sorry, i don't have any. maybe if i had access to a lift and i can look from underneath w/ the splash guard removed. however, i don't have a lift and i'm too lazy to crawl under my car and check. just learn to remove the bumper. it's really quite easy. just 2 big torx bolts in the front, 4 8mm screws on each corner (2 in wheel well and 2 under), and 3 plastics rivets under the front edge, if your car has it. not a big deal at all.

·
Registered
239 Posts
thanks for the quick reply. I'll look at bently manual tonight. Probably better to take it off any way to get a better instal.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
backdoc said:
Should I pull a fuse befoer installing x -tech fogs, if so wich one(s) :dunno:
you don't really need a bentlet manual. just go to the link in my first post. it's an excellent DIY reference. but if you feel you must, it wouldn't hurt to look at a bentley.

also, u don't need to pull any fuses. just make sure the car is off when you're doing this.

·
(oOO \ (||||)(||||) / OOo)
2,843 Posts
NO NEED TO PULL ANY FUSES. Other places to consider to place the ballast is right on the mid section of the bumper. (see picture below exactly where I placed just like this guy did except I don't have to remove the front bumper) I placed mine the with out removing the bumper. Just remove the under panel of the engine bay in order to gain access to the front bumper.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jcabigas said:
NO NEED TO PULL ANY FUSES. Other places to consider to place the ballast is right on the mid section of the bumper. (see picture below exactly where I placed just like this guy did except I don't have to remove the front bumper) I placed mine the with out removing the bumper. Just remove the under panel of the engine bay in order to gain access to the front bumper.
great location. :thumbup: i probably would have done the same thing if i took a little more time and looked before removing the bumper.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks guys,
Both ways seem great. I'll look one more time under car to use Jcabigas' location w/o removing bumper. If no access I'll pull bumper. Just have to wait for the rain to stop, no garage :bawling: .

·
(oOO \ (||||)(||||) / OOo)
2,843 Posts
There is a space that you can place the ballast on the front bumper. Look it over again. At first glance, you may think that there is no way to place it inside there but when I placed my hand toward an opening I found a flat space of the front bumper. I cleaned surface with rug and a cleaner to wipe the dirt out. I routed the existing connector to the ballast and the ballast wire connector toward the fog lights. Your ballasts will be safe there and prevent it for being wet. :thumbup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
backdoc said:
Now that looks good!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :drool:, Halos might be next, in the spring. Thanks.
hey, excuse the ignorance but i am totally lost now. i wanted to change my fog lights - to the xtec hyper white bulbs (http://www.umnitza.com/product_info.php?cPath=93&products_id=121) . do these require a ballast or are we just referring to 2 completely different installs. i assumed that i simply take out the old bulbs and put these in? :hmm:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts