BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could I possibly hook the woofer from a component system without using the xover and tweeter directly to the amp? Would this be bad for the speaker?

Reason: I have to send the Xover & tweets back to diamond audio and would like to have some kind of music while their out.

Possible or not ?

Also.. I have an Audiocontrol EQX if that helps

Thanks

Rich

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
if you are using one channel for both the mid and tweeter - no you can not hook these up and expect them to survive - the mid will be fine, the tweeter will be gone.

tweeters must have some type of crossover on them....

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no tweets.

i have to send the xover and tweets back to diamond.

just wondering if i could use the woofer directly to the amp.

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
High frequencies will not damage the midbass, so you'll be fine. You do have a high-pass crossover on it to block bass right? That would be the only concern.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
PLAZAMAN said:
no tweets.

i have to send the xover and tweets back to diamond.

just wondering if i could use the woofer directly to the amp.

whoops...sorry for the mis-read....yeah, the woofer is fine directly to the amp

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ca1242 said:
High frequencies will not damage the midbass, so you'll be fine. You do have a high-pass crossover on it to block bass right? That would be the only concern.

Um... you mean on the amp right?

"HP" "LP" "BY"

leave it on hp right?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it Thanks.

CA..

how do u know if a tweeter is blown?

What would cause a tweeter to make screeching sounds? Like a scratched CD sound?

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
PLAZAMAN said:
Got it Thanks.

CA..

how do u know if a tweeter is blown?

What would cause a tweeter to make screeching sounds? Like a scratched CD sound?
I guess what you are trying to find out is whether the crossover, tweeter or both (as a result of the crossover going bad and damaging the tweeter) are bad. The easy way to fin out is to swap wiring from both tweeters to the other crossover. If the problems moves to the other side, then you have a bad tweeter. If the problem stays on the same side, then it is a bad crossover. If you have problems at both sides, then both tweeter and crossover are bad.

Are crossovers inside the doors? Many installers do this and crossovers get damaged with moisture/heat/vibration.

If the tweeter is bad, it is hard to tell what is causing the screeching sounds. Could be a partially burned coil, damaged cone, debris inside, damaged (mechanically).

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Xover in Trunk

I switched the tweet wire from 1 xover to the other... same tweeter ...

other side does it slightly.

how do i know if i tapped into the right wires for the tweet?

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
How about removing the tweeters and directly connecting them through the crossover.

PLAZAMAN said:
Xover in Trunk

I switched the tweet wire from 1 xover to the other... same tweeter ...

other side does it slightly.

how do i know if i tapped into the right wires for the tweet?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts