BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some years ago I updated the radio in my 2001 330ci to the newest E46 Business model with satellite mode. I put the receiver (?) in the trunk and the antennae in top part of back seat. I had it working for a few years (with subscription) until I put the car in storage for several years (canceled subscription). I have the car back on road and the radio shows sirius on channel 1 in the mode but no sound. The refresh requires a subscription. Is this the way its done now? I thought channel 1 was free. Is something wrong with my setup? I listen quite a bit to free Pandora and wondering the best way to go for music. My new Iphone does not have the aux connection so installing that would not help. Any suggestions? I paid a lot for this radio upgrade and I like the look. I know Dynavin is an option but its pricey and requires a bit of technical expertise. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Nope. Channel 1 should just play some enticing music and repeatedly advise you to sign up. I always called them just before or immediately upon receiving an invoice. But once the COVID-19 started in NY & NJ, I actually got a robocall telling me that if I accept now my package which MSRPs for $300+, which I usually talk them down to $150 including the package for my mobile phone so I can listen on my wife's 04 E46 with a Dynavin 7 and Bluetooth, and in my E70 X5 which is factory set up for Sirius satellite. it would cost me $99. And I checked to make sure there were no surprises and emailed Sirius who replied the next day that it was legit. So no discussions, no threats to leave, no playing the trial and retrial game. It was the best deal I ever got EXCEPT when the offered discounts at my former employer for employees. If I had done so, I would have had a Sirius for life account for about $500 but who knew that they would be the only thing I listen to on long drives in either vehicle, especially now that Verizon upped the data plans basically to unlimited. Not a Howard Stern fan. I mostly listen to Classic Rock, CNBC, and BB Kings Bluesland.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope. Channel 1 should just play some enticing music and repeatedly advise you to sign up. I always called them just before or immediately upon receiving an invoice. But once the COVID-19 started in NY & NJ, I actually got a robocall telling me that if I accept now my package which MSRPs for $300+, which I usually talk them down to $150 including the package for my mobile phone so I can listen on my wife's 04 E46 with a Dynavin 7 and Bluetooth, and in my E70 X5 which is factory set up for Sirius satellite. it would cost me $99. And I checked to make sure there were no surprises and emailed Sirius who replied the next day that it was legit. So no discussions, no threats to leave, no playing the trial and retrial game. It was the best deal I ever got EXCEPT when the offered discounts at my former employer for employees. If I had done so, I would have had a Sirius for life account for about $500 but who knew that they would be the only thing I listen to on long drives in either vehicle, especially now that Verizon upped the data plans basically to unlimited. Not a Howard Stern fan. I mostly listen to Classic Rock, CNBC, and BB Kings Bluesland.
Sorry to be dense but how does it entice you if you don't receive it? I'm afraid something is wrong with my system.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Sorry to be dense but how does it entice you if you don't receive it? I'm afraid something is wrong with my system.
Sorry, I missed the part where you said “no sound”. Channel 1 is just a default. If you’re getting nothing, not even the reconnect ad I THINK that means one of three things. And no, Channel 1 is not FREE other than to market to you, thus my 3 suggestions are:

1) You’re really not picking up any signal. So your attenna is either disconnected or just not finding any signal. To determine that and confirm what I said, download the Sirius/XM app. There is a version for every platform including iOS, Windows, any device from iPhones, to Amazon devices. What ever you already own, there is an app either in the App Store, Google Play, and more which you can download for free. Now assuming you are hearing sound from one of those, then one can assume you have signal availability. That’s where you hit any button you like and you should hear my aforementioned message and enticement.

2) Your headunit is broken. Now you haven’t mentioned if your head is getting plain old AM/FM signal. So let’s make sure your “radio” and amplifier are both working.

3) You need a refresh signal. If you’ve been offline, you are likely considered “dead” by their satellites.You will need your radio’s ID, but as I recall you can do this request online or just by calling them.

I cannot imagine another possibility

hope that helps
Edco

1 - 6 of 6 Posts