BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I am looking for a clean way to run the antenna wire to the roof. I know many people have opted to mount their antennas inside the car, but i have mine mounted on the rear roof as i get better reception that way. I have it running around the rubber trim that surrounds the rear window but I dont know how to secure it. I have electrical tape holding it there temporarily. Thanks for all the help!:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
How about going through the seal on top of the rear window. I believe that's how BMW runs the wires for the shark fin antenna.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had my xm antenna on the roof for a while and I noticed it was starting to watermark the clearcoat underneath the antenna even with the plastic coating on the bottom of the antenna. I moved it to the rear package tray after fixing /buffing the paint on the roof and it works just as good. But if you must have it on the outside, I ran the wire in the rubber channel around the window and secured it with black RTV silicone in the channel. When I installed the wire I heated with a low power heat gun to make it more pliable so it would get the kinks out of it and bend easily around the top corner of the window. Then I zapped it with a little freeze spray to make it stiff (tape off the paint and glass for protection). secure every foot or so with tape and apply the RTV. After it dries/hardens remove the securing tape and apply the RTV to the spots that the tape previously covered. Finished product looks almost invisible as long as you smooth it out and tape off the glass and paint. Use a wet paper towel or wet finger to smooth out the RTV. Just an idea.

·
Never Follow.
522 Posts
i have the magnetic antenna and have no problems running it on the trunk of my car... i havent tried moving since i put it on the car, but no marks on the paint and easy to install...

if you get a little claw tool to help you pull the wires through the rubber wire loom on the right side of the trunk you're in business... its pretty easy to do

·
Registered
628 Posts
Check out this guys install, I did mine like him and it works great. My antenna is on the upper deck behind my rear seats and works great.

http://www.my330i.com/mod18.php

1 - 5 of 5 Posts