Nice ride:thumbup:

·
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?
4,542 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Damn the looks good!!!

I need to finally get my ass moving and get the M3 mirrors installed.

·
Registered
297 Posts
ehhhhh must not...not get new rims...nooooo :flipoff:

:D

(i'm trying to keep myself from buying new ones....)

What size are they btw?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah Charlie the bases came out sweet. I needed to do a little bit more grinding on order for the bolts to sit flush on the door when mounting but they came out perfect.

Why rims are 19"s. I actually painted them with the titanium silver paint from the curb rash DIY cause I had major curb rash. I think they came out great and now if I ever scratch them I can repaint them very easily.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Gotta love these upgrades on a wagon

D1Trupinoy:

You mentioned a "little more grinding" needed. Can you describe the nature of the mods required to fit the M3 mirror bases? I realize the mounting holes and/or locations are different. Do you alter the mirror bases to match the car door or vice-versa? Can you provide any pictures of the required changes to door/mirror base?

I've looked through most of the threads on M3 mirror upgrades and have not seen anything that provides specific guidance as to how to properly locate & mount the new bases.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stealth,

I got the bases moded from Charlie (Yellowman). Once you have the bases you will see that the mounting holes for the M-3 base line up with uneven area of the door. So what I did is drill the holes until they lined up, then cut with a dremel the uneven areas to make them flat for the bolt to sit correctly. The area you cut is a 2 layer sheet metal so I actual just cut the interior layer so I can mount the bolt onto the second (exterior layer). I also grinded a small notch on the exterior door where the plate would sit on (there is a flap of metel right under the mirror base (this flap is parralel to the ground)). I cut a small notch so the base sits on a groove and more level with the mounting area.

You will understand what I mean once you try to install. Sorry I took no pics cause I was so caught up in finishingmy car mods.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
d1trupinoy said:
Stealth,

I got the bases moded from Charlie (Yellowman). Once you have the bases you will see that the mounting holes for the M-3 base line up with uneven area of the door. So what I did is drill the holes until they lined up, then cut with a dremel the uneven areas to make them flat for the bolt to sit correctly. The area you cut is a 2 layer sheet metal so I actual just cut the interior layer so I can mount the bolt onto the second (exterior layer). I also grinded a small notch on the exterior door where the plate would sit on (there is a flap of metel right under the mirror base (this flap is parralel to the ground)). I cut a small notch so the base sits on a groove and more level with the mounting area.

You will understand what I mean once you try to install. Sorry I took no pics cause I was so caught up in finishingmy car mods.

so whats the point of sending the bases to bodywerks if all this additional work is necessary?

Why not just follow RE DIY?

Just my $0.02

·
www.piratecove.org
3,706 Posts
'cause bw has done lotsa them and will modify them right :)

i love mine

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I still had to send the basses to get moded for a sedan. I still had to drill new holes in my door in order for me to mount the modded base plates. I did additional work on the door in order for the bolts to sit flat when screwing in the mirror bases is what I was explaining.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts