BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you bought your cars, I assume most of you looked at the A4 quattro as well.

What made you choose the BMW over the Audi?

My cousin is about to buy a new car and he is looking at an A4 quattro. Being a bimmer freak I'm trying to talk him into a 3series instead, of course.

I'm also telling him that he's better off saving the money for AWD and getting sport tires plus an extra set of snows, but that's a separate issue. For now, I wonder about the comparison between the A4 and the Xi.

From my experience:
A4 is cheaper
A4 quattro is slightly better than Xi system for AWD
A4 interior is quite nice (but I think the bimmer is too)
Xi performance and handling is better
Xi looks better (imho, even despite the wheel gap. I don't like the A4)
Xi is a BMW, A4 is a VW :)
Xi - if we're talking the smaller engine (not sure if he wants 3.0 or smaller), the 2.5 kills the 1.8t plus then you have turbo issues to deal with. If we're talking the bigger engine, the BMW 3.0 is better as well.
Xi - if we're talking stick, the BMW transmission is much better, even despite the extra gear on the audi

Non-stick drivers - which has the better transmission? He can't drive stick, unfortunately. Is the tiptronic better/worse/same as the Steptronic?

Honest opinions, even if they're pro-Audi, are appreciated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I loved both cars, but I chose the Xi because i liked the steptronic better than audis tiptronic, and if i got the audi i would want the 1.8t to upgrade but wouldnt have done this until the warranty was up so i would be stuck with a slow car for a few years.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi

I test drove the Audi A4 3.0 before I got the 330xi. The Audi is a good car; I think the sound system is a little better too (Bose with 6 CD in dash I think). However, the Audi lacked the sporty feel that the BMW had (I test drove manual on both) and the handling and power on the 330 was way better :D

The audi's stick was easier to drive but the BMW stick feels more positive I guess.

A little off topic but... at the Audi dealership the dealer was like, "Oh you're considering a 3 series eh? Lets pull out the big guns." At the BMW dealership it was more like, "Here's the car, take it out for a spin... yeah it's awesome isn't it ;) )

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Fair comparison:

1. Prestige - BMW

2. Value - Audi

3. Performance - Tie (Xi is faster, Quattro has better steering/handling)

4. Interior - Tie (I'm not joking, details below)

5. Bodystyle (not styling) - Audi (02 newer design, BMW due for redesign soon)

Everyone always says Audi has a excellent interior but the BMW one is also great. Look at their ratings for fit & finish (interior materials, & build quality), & you'll see the 2 are almost dead even.

Why do they mention the Audi interior more when their ratings are almost the same? Well, they can't talk as much about performance cause BMW has that one sewn up (if BMW rwd vs. A4 awd), so they emphasize the interior. Mags always emphasize a car's strongest pts, hence most of the BMW's review focuses on performance.

Consumers Report
fit & finish:
330i, excellent (full red circle); A4 3.0 Q excellent (full red circle)

Edmunds
interior materials:
330i, 9.4; A4 3.0 Q, 10.0
build quality:
330i, 10.0; A4 3.0 Q, 10.0

Car & Driver
fit & finish:
330i, 9; A4 3.0, 9

Having said all that, I'd take the A4 over the 3-Series if it's awd vs. awd.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Before I tryed both cars I liked the exterior style of the Audi better. After I tryed it I was disappointed at the interior look and especially the driving feeling. On the road in my opinion the Audi doesn't event close to the 330xi. After I test drove the xi I was having butterflies in my stomach just talking about the car. It was love right away.

Now when I look at the A4 I don't find the car as attractive as before.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Audi is a nice car, but it doens't look as good as the BMW. I test drive both the 1.8t and 3.0, but both them don' t can't compare with the 330xi ....:D :D

I will only choose 1.8t if and only if i am going to chip it and i will not take the 3.0 since it is too SLOW~~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts