BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
I'm at work right now, car is in the shop. This was a week after I installed the springs. It's settled a bit lower since then.

Admittedly, if I could find a solution to the boots cracking, I'd be pretty happy after a set of camber plates and a proper alignment. I know -1.7 isn't the end of the world, but new tires are new tires. :)

In a day or two try to post up a pic like the ones in post #35, then we'll really see what things look like. Inexpensive Camber or Camber/Caster plates will easily solve your camber issue, figure ~$139 for a set. And like I said, they're creative ways to slightly raise it up a little, if you install camber plates, that will be the time to do it.

Rob43

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'll already be in it to replace the damned axles or boots, so we'll see what happens at that point. I'll post up a decent side pic as soon as I can.

Side note: As far as the front outer CV boot thing, I honestly don't think that the lowering has anything to do with it. I checked the axle angles with the front suspension loaded when I was under it for an oil change a couple weeks back, and they're barely off-center. I really think that the issue with these CV boots tearing is the extreme steering angles that this car is capable of. We have to make a hard, hard turn into our driveway due to confined space in our alleyway, and I think that's what killing the boots. I wonder if there isn't a 'size bigger' or other solution to the boots that could be used in lieu of the OEM size to mitigate the constant tearing.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Won't the camber plates themselves raise the front?

This type of Camber Plate is designed to be the same height as the OE strut bearing, so it shouldn't add any height to the chassis.

Rob43

Attachments

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I'll already be in it to replace the damned axles or boots, so we'll see what happens at that point. I'll post up a decent side pic as soon as I can.

Side note: As far as the front outer CV boot thing, I honestly don't think that the lowering has anything to do with it. I checked the axle angles with the front suspension loaded when I was under it for an oil change a couple weeks back, and they're barely off-center. I really think that the issue with these CV boots tearing is the extreme steering angles that this car is capable of. We have to make a hard, hard turn into our driveway due to confined space in our alleyway, and I think that's what killing the boots. I wonder if there isn't a 'size bigger' or other solution to the boots that could be used in lieu of the OEM size to mitigate the constant tearing.

This could be your opportunity to figure this out for the E46F forum members, maybe take a new boot to the parts store or the dealer & start to compare it to different boot designs from different BMW's & different cars entirely. You might get lucky and find something that's 10% to 15% bigger that fits perfectly, this is some of my methods that I used on how I figured out this lowering thread.

Rob43

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a few contacts at a couple local parts shacks that I can ask. Let me do some digging. I'll report back.

I don't know why I don't just give up on this damned thing already with all the other headaches it's given me, but there's just something about it I can't let go of.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I know what you mean & I feel the same way....

Rob43 :)

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I've already been secretly researching this. Don't blow my cover Rob!

I am the CV boot whisperer.

OMG, everyone stand back, The CV Boot Whisperer Is At Work !

In all seriousness, get this solved & you'll be a God amongst the regular Xi owner.

Rob43 :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Update: The parts guys that I had look into this weren't helpful. Apparently they don't have access to a lot of info on boots, or availability on boots at all. I'm at a standstill.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Update: The parts guys that I had look into this weren't helpful. Apparently they don't have access to a lot of info on boots, or availability on boots at all. I'm at a standstill.
How much of a rush are you in ? It's possible you could have some product in your hand within 30 days, but you'd be an early "tester" at this point. Price should be reasonable.

Rob43

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Sooner than later for me. Car is daily driven, but it's less than 15 miles a day. I'd be open to be a guinea pig.
One way or another, you'll have some info within 48 hours.

Rob43

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Nothing...nothing, other than stock will provide a stock quality ride. I made the mistake of switching to H&R springs and selling my originals. I switched to Koni shocks and Eibach springs and I still wish I never touched my suspension.

Also, this thread completely ignores the angle the drop puts the CV joints at.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Xi Lowering / Have Your Cake & Eat it Too

Nothing...nothing, other than stock will provide a stock quality ride. I made the mistake of switching to H&R springs and selling my originals. I switched to Koni shocks and Eibach springs and I still wish I never touched my suspension.

I've been going strong lowered about 3.25 inches and no ripped cv boots yet after 3 months. One of mine was ripped from stock height and it's just held together with rubber cement and it's fine as well

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

That's fine & I completely understand your concerns.

But if everyone used this logic, no Xi owner would ever try to lower their BMW or change out to non OE components. So it's not realistic for everyone to use this thinking, some guys want it low at any cost, while others want less of a drop (or no drop at all) & a smother ride.

Everyone has different expectations.

Rob43

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've also been talking with an aftermarket cv boot manufacturer that has product that might fit, and wants some angle measurements and to know where the rips are occurring. Years ago when I put the H&R springs on my car it dropped significantly, and the cv joint angle was quite steep, but now I can't find the measurement. I just put Eibach springs and the drophats on my car, and am going to take some measurements.

For comparison, can someone give me some measurements from the ground to the apex of the front and rear wheel well with stock springs and with H&R springs? That way I can jack my car to those heights and measure the cv joint angles and compare them all.

Also, if your boots have ripped, where did they rip? In the valley of the pleat, or at the ridge?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've also been talking with an aftermarket cv boot manufacturer that has product that might fit, and wants some angle measurements and to know where the rips are occurring. Years ago when I put the H&R springs on my car it dropped significantly, and the cv joint angle was quite steep, but now I can't find the measurement. I just put Eibach springs and the drophats on my car, and am going to take some measurements.

For comparison, can someone give me some measurements from the ground to the apex of the front and rear wheel well with stock springs and with H&R springs? That way I can jack my car to those heights and measure the cv joint angles and compare them all.

Also, if your boots have ripped, where did they rip? In the valley of the pleat, or at the ridge?

I will send you a pm with the location where mine is ripped! I am very interested, I still need to replace mine that's being held together with rubber cement

41 - 60 of 380 Posts