E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
It it the same kind of light.
HID is an abreviation for High Intensity electrical Discharge. You get this discharge (the light) when you ignite the Xenon gas inside of the (HID) bulb.

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,325 Posts
badwayz said:
It it the same kind of light.
HID is an abreviation for High Intensity electrical Discharge. You get this discharge (the light) when you ignite the Xenon gas inside of the (HID) bulb.
Actualy, to be completely correct, the xenon gas is not "ignited". It is excited by passing a large electrical arc through it, which causes it to glow brightly.

·
Registered
716 Posts
EDawg said:
are they different names for the same thing?? if not, then what's the difference??

keep in mind though, some halogen bulb manufacturer intentionally label their halogen bulbs with phrases like "Xenon HID color", or "xenon gas" for marketing purposes. (maybe to confuse the customer and trick them into buying halogen bulbs, when they think they're buying HID)

"xenon hid color" - those blue-tinted halogen bulbs that shines whiter than the traditional halogen bulbs.

"xenon gas" - halogen bulbs that has xenon gas filled inside the bulb glass casing. they still emit light through a filament, the xenon gas was injected just to keep the filament from oxidizing. smart marketing gimmick, if you ask me.

at any rate, you can usually differentiate HID from those "xenon gas" halogen bulbs by the light output; oem-HID emits more light and isn't "blue", usually more of a daylight white.

here's a site with info on everything HID.
http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/hl-hid-bulbs.htm

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I didn't get the HID's in my 325i. I don't like the light they produce.
The light seems overly bright and makes everything look dull and lifeless.
And, the contrast it creates on the road hurts my eyes.
I might be able to get used to it but why bother. I'd rather not pay for something that I don't like and does nothing for me to improve it's performance.

BTW, I don't like the halogen "white" bulbs either. They may try and get the same color as HID's but the light level is very weak.
I prefer the regular good ole "Yellow-white" of standard bulbs.
I live in the country suburbs and the lights work just fine on those dark roads.

TT

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
slow323ci said:
Actualy, to be completely correct, the xenon gas is not "ignited". It is excited by passing a large electrical arc through it, which causes it to glow brightly.
:werd: There are different levels of HID.

·
Registered
311 Posts
HID is a more accurate name. Xenon (Bi XENON) is a name the BMW use to disinguish their HID headlight from normal halogen headlight.

HID represent the technology for generating the light output. Most (All) HID has its capsule filled with high presure xenon gas. This help the HID capule last longer, and partially responsible for the bluish white light output. This is where the name Xenon comes from

Some high end filament light bulb also have its capsul filled with xenon gas, this allow the filament to burn hotter, generate a whitter light, and last longer. Some people will also call this light bulb xenon light bulb, which is not the same as the "xenon" in bmws.

eel

·
alfisti & bimmer fan
2,090 Posts
xenon is the kind of gas that the bulb use, like ion, halogen, etc. HID is the kind of system that the bulb use to generate the light HID mean High Intensity Discharge. Hope this help :p

·
Registered
771 Posts
Exactly, lots of manufacturers and sellers use the word "Xenon" as a marketing gimmick, and even put Xenon gas in halogen bulbs to legitimize it. Unless there is a ballast, it is not a real HID, that's the easiest way to know for sure.

-Jer

·
Registered
257 Posts
HID is the acronym for High Intensity Discharge. HID lighting is based on the gas-discharge principle whereby an arc of light is created between two tungsten electrodes in a gas filled capsule.

Xenon is an inert gas used as a catalyst to bring the the metal halide salt mixture, contained within the capsule, up to "critical temperature". Once "critical temperature" is reached the gases ionize causing the metal halide salts to vaporize and will finally discharge light at full output. These transitions, usually referred to as warm up, are indicative of xenon discharge lamps as light output initiates from an intense blue (xenon gas ionizing) output at start up to an intense white output (halide salts vaporizing) once fully 'warmed up'.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts