BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that switching a halogen car to xenon headlights requires sometime of software tweak...but does the car that is getting the halogens installed also require a software change??:dunno:

TIA

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
huntmdwn said:
why would you downgrade?!?!?

I am not downgrading...I plan on upgrading, I currently have halogens and I know that when I put xenon headlights in I am going to have to take it to the dealer so they can load teh software for xenon lights....but I am asking will the car that is getting the halogens put in it need a software tweak as well???

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hey how much is your total investment for the new Xenon lights? Is your dealer doing or willing to do the install for you?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a deal I am hoping to cut with a local owner for the lights but yea I would take it to the dealer for the xenon software

BUT would he have to get software since he is just putting OEM halogens as a replacement??????????:dunno::dunno:

·
Super Nintendo Chalmers
2,055 Posts
I'm pretty sure the car getting the halogens would also need a software "upgrade". It's because the car uses less power to power the xenons. The newly installed halogens wouldn't be bright enough, because they wouldn't have enough power going to them.

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,353 Posts
The "software upgrade" is nothing to do with power output or anything like that - all it does is keep the "headlights burned out" warning from showing up in the little on-board computer display.

You can accomplish the same thing by installing a Hella relay pack from Bekkers or pulling fuse 32. However, pulling fuse 32 also disables a few other warnings - warnings that although rare, if left unheeded can cause severe damage to your car! Don't ask me what they are, someone else posted the info quite some time ago.

As far as the ex-xenon car getting halogens, they can just try installing them and see what happens. They may or may not need to have the computer setting changed. In any case the car would not be damaged, the extent of any problem would be a display in the OBC.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks...so will that bekkers relay from bekkers will fix the computer settings for both cars, the halogen and xenon one??

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,353 Posts
srn1985 said:
Thanks...so will that bekkers relay from bekkers will fix the computer settings for both cars, the halogen and xenon one??
It will fix the car that is getting the xenons installed, for sure.

I don't know that there will even be a problem with the car that is changing from xenon to halogen. Never heard of anyone going that way.

The only difference between the halogen and xenon lights as far as the computer is concerned is that halogen bulbs have an element in them like a regular light bulb, and xenon bulbs do not. The computer senses the resistance in the bulb and uses that information to decide whether the bulb is burnt out or not. The halogen bulb shows zero resistance when it is good, but when it is burnt out shows infinite resistance. Since the xenon bulb has no element, it shows infinite resistance all the time, leading the computer to think it is always burnt out.

If you call Bekkers they can tell you everything you need to know about both swaps.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I found out the hard way. That an oil sensor was bad on my car after it completely stalled. The warning light did not come on prior to complete failure due to me pulling fuse 32.

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,353 Posts
Crescent_City said:
I found out the hard way. That an oil sensor was bad on my car after it completely stalled. The warning light did not come on prior to complete failure due to me pulling fuse 32.
That sucks! Hard lesson, indeed.

·
][D ][ ][V][ ][D
1,569 Posts
I have the same problem. I swapped xenons in recently, but when I went to the dealer, they would not update the OBC, so now that stupid warning light indicating my headlights are out, is on all the time (except when the headlights are on). Might have to inquire about his relay from Bekkers. Is it a plug 'n play?

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,353 Posts
fuschnicken said:
I have the same problem. I swapped xenons in recently, but when I went to the dealer, they would not update the OBC, so now that stupid warning light indicating my headlights are out, is on all the time (except when the headlights are on). Might have to inquire about his relay from Bekkers. Is it a plug 'n play?
Yes, the relay from Bekkers is a simple plug and play thing. Would take you less than 5 minutes to install.

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
Group buy?

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
man when i went to go get my xenon service light fixed they quoted me 98 bucks for a diagnosis. wtf is that. next time i should lie and tell them xenons came with the car. anyway they will find out?

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,353 Posts
egyptnads said:
man when i went to go get my xenon service light fixed they quoted me 98 bucks for a diagnosis. wtf is that. next time i should lie and tell them xenons came with the car. anyway they will find out?
They might notice that you don't have autoleveling.

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
they probably can look up my car on their computer huh. it will state that it didnt come with xenons. but would they go that far. i mean they are oem xenons.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts