BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it hard to install them if you have cold weather package? Do i have to take out the headlight washer system from the headlights? Also are there other screws than the two visible on top of the headlight because i cant seem to move the whole thing even after i removed them? And do I just unplug the halogen bulb plug and plug it in to the ballast/that silver metal box thing near the bottom of the headlight? Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I did my change over, I was required to remove the bumber first. There were two other screws on the bottom of the headlights that needed to be taked out. After that the install was really easy, just plug and play the new system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You don't need to remove the bumper. And the washer system only sets you back a few minutes. There are some great instructions on this forum. Just do your search homework, if you can't find them, them contact me. For the washer system the biggest tip is plug the washer system hose with a golf tee after you pull the head out, as chances are it will drain your entire washer fluid tank.

There are only 4 bolts to remove, I'd budget an hour of time. If you had to do it twice it would take about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
224 Posts
There are 4 fasteners to remove the light housing. The two on the top are obvious; the third is behind the light and the fourth is buried toward the inside of the housing right next to the grille.

You'll need a 1/4in ratchet with a long extension to get the last one in/out. Tape the socket tightly to the extension so it wont pull off. Also, when replacing this bolt, lightly tape it to the socket itself to prevent dropping it into the abyss of the front end :ben: .

When you install the lights, make sure they slide onto/into the lower mounting "rails" . It's easy to install them on top of these and you'll break the top clips off when you screw them down.
When you get the light out you'll see what I'm referring to, these "rails" are on either side of the washer nozzle and fit into pockets on the bottom of the headlight. Wiggle the light around to make sure it is well seated. I sprayed the lower mounts with Vinylex/Armorall to make it easier to fit.

I retrofitted bixenons into my ZHP last weekend and posted the info on bimmerfest. Follow the link below if you have bixenons and you need to get your shutters to open on highbeam.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46813

Either way, have the dealer code the car for xenons or you will end up with dash errors and/or the dreaded strobing effect. Some folks just hack fuse 32 but, IMO, thats asking for trouble.

--Scott

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I removed all four screws but its still not moving. Is the bottom trim holding the headlight or maybe the headlight washer system?

·
Registered
224 Posts
You need to remove the trim strip under the headlight (the painted part.

Release the clip closest to the grille, then carefully wiggle the strip or use a thin screwdriver to release the others. You need to remove the sidemarker lamp as well using a phillips screwdriver in the fender hole.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The headlight washer system will hold the assembly in place. That has to come out. I'm searching for the install instructions I found before. If I find them I'll post them, they were very helpful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts