E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Say hello to my lito fren
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my fellow Fanatics, many of you have been wondering and posting several threads over the course of the last year regarding fog bulb replacement to match the Xenon bulbs, and although there have been several contenders, there always seems to be a debate. I personally have tried a couple over the last few months, and recently, my friend (2001 330ci) and I (2002 330ci) ordered a couple of the ones we have NOT tried, and put them to a test. Thus I present to you:

The 2002 SSABRIPO Fog light bulb comparo :pimpin:

The paticipants are as follows (in no particular order):

* Eurolite Super Plasma Xenon
* Lumikos
* Raybrig Plasma White 5000K
* Nokya Aractic White
* PIAA Extreme white
* PIAA Super Plasma

All of the above were tested in the 9006/9005 format, and thus, the results are solely based on this form factor. We CANNOT assert that the performance will be the same in other form factors (ie H3, etc).

6th Place: Eurolite Super Plasma Xenon

These bulbs were the very first ones I put on when I got my car, and I must say, that they performed well....for 1 F&(&*# week!!! :mad: They are trully shitty bulbs, and turned even more yellow than stock bulbs after 4 months of use. They are rated at 4300K, and cost is usually pretty cheap (~$20/pair).

Tie 4th Place: Lumikos
No Image available

The Lumikos are a preferred bulb among many e46fanatics, and they certainly perfomed a lot better than the Eurolite. The color is rated at 4300K, and they are actually pretty bright. Once the xenons in your car are warmed up, there is a pretty nice match with them. However, the Lumikos bulbs that we tried linearly deteriorated after months in use.:confused: The now has a yellowish tone to it, and although better than the Eurolite, it still needs a lot of improvement. Price is usually around ~$30-$40

Tie 4th Place: Nokya Arctic White

The Nokya Arctic white was a good bulb when I first installed it, but I was fairly dissappointed in the color range; even after the xenons warmed up, they looked yellowish compared to the headlights. Their color temperature is actually rated for 4100K, and thus, I was pretty dissappointed:thumbdwn: Price is around $30/pair.

3rd Place: PIAA Extreme white

The PIAA Extreme White were actually pretty nice, despite having a low 4000K Temperature range. However, they were still too much on the yellowish side, and they definitely needed a bit more power:rolleyes: They offered a slightly better overall discharge than the Nokya and the Lumikos, but not by much. And the price really killed it! At ~$90 it is definitely way too much money.

2nd Place: Raybrig Plasma White (Sonic White)

The Raybrig Plasma white, rated at 5000K was awesome from the start, but however, one of my bulbs did not work so I had to send it back. The seller told me that they are discontinuing this model, and thus, send me a new pair of Raybrig Sonic White bulbs, which are also rated at 5000K:

I was really surprised at how nice these bulbs are, and was finally happy with the color matching with the xenons!:thumbup: Although the BMW Xenon's are rated at 4300K, their output is a lot stronger, and thus, seem to be whiter, but there raybrigs were outstanding...they kept the color match beautifully! I must say, however, that they do not come cheap! at ~$90-$100, they are definitely not for the cheap of heart.

1st Place: PIAA Super Plasma

From the onset, the PIAA Super Plasma showed to be impressive:yikes: :yikes: As soon as I turn them on, they were hinting even a blueish color to them, but not as matched with the xenons as I would have liked. But once the Xenons got warm, I was really impressed with the color of the fog lights. Rated at 5000K, the PIAA's were nothing short of outstanding. The power rating is at 55W=110W, and thus, could have used a little more punch, a little more juice (say 60-70W), but standards only come in 55W and 80W(which is too hot). You gotta let the xenons warm up in your car, and let this bad boy go!:thumbup: :thumbup: However, as with the Raybrig's, the PIAA's are not cheap (~$90-$100), and are very hard to find. You also need to use your rubber ring from the old fog light to make the fog light work.:rolleyes: It is worth it though!!:thumbup: :pimpin:

Thus, after several months of searching and testing, and after the last couple of weeks ordering a few more contenders, we finally have a winner: PIAA Super Plasma ! The Raybrig Sonic white was a very close second, and not shabby by any means, although I give another notch to the PIAA's just for name (they are known to produce long lasting, excellent bulbs). These bulbs, however, are not only rated 5000K (as opposed to the normal 4300K most folks search), but they are high priced. If something good and cheap is what you search for, then the Lumikos or the Nokya's are OK. If you want the best match for your xenons, and don't mind spending close to $100 for some bulbs, then the PIAA's are your choice!

·
INDEED
1,130 Posts
how easy is it to change the bulbs for the foglamps? Yes, you would think someone out there would sell these Super Plasmas...

·
Registered
291 Posts
excellent comparison...i've been waiting for someone to do a write up like this..thanks. If only someone would do a comparision write up for the hyper white (xenon like) bulbs for the turn signal..hint ..hint :D

I've tried PIAA super white (sucks), Hyper Industries ByHybrid (blueish white), Polarg M9 (still yellow)

·
mod-er-at-or-er
1,056 Posts
I like the nokia arctic whites for the price. If price was no obligation then PIAA plasmas would win hands down. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
371 Posts
So does anyone have a contact in japan that they are willing to hook it up:D Im down for like a group buy or something

·
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks! Perhaps one of the moderators will move this to the Review section.

Also, for those who asked already, there are a couple of places to get the PIAA super plasma 9006. Here are just a couple of places:

1. James Miller, email is [email protected] , and he charges $85 + 10.50 for 3-day shipping

2. http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/piaa/bodymainpiaa.html :thumbup: I got mine here...they cost $90 + 10 3-day shipping.

3. http://www.hitechimportlighting.com/piaa.htm :dunno: Haven't used them, but a buddy of mine bought one from them a while back.

Also, do a search on google... ****** CLik here to see google's results ******* :thumbup: there is alot of links to places.

·
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Craig said:
Ahhh opinion's vary i've tested upwards of 12 brands and found Lumiko to work best...
that's right Craig, this review is just my opinion and my opinion only (and the opinion of those who saw me try these out, who concurred and helped with my rankings). As you said, someone may find that one of the other ones works best specially for the price....overall though, price not counting, the PIAA's (and Raybrigs) were in a different league.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts