BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just got my car back from the body shop and I noticed the new xenon (one side was replaced) is whiter in color as opposed to the other side which emits a blueish tint. Is there anything I can do to get them to match? change bulbs?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Take it to the dealership!!!!

My buddy had a same problem b/c he tried to install his angel eyes and the somehow they screwed it up.
So he took it to the dealer and got a whole new kit.But just tell them the situation as you don't know what happened.

·
Registered
48 Posts
..and if you could, let us know which brand/make are the whiter ones and which brand are bluer.

·
Sofa-king-what
2,000 Posts
.... same thing happened to me.... . replaced the left light ( by dealer OEM stuff) and now... on the right xenon-blue, on the left white-yellow-xenon
i've noticed that on the right I have a philips bulb... but not on the left.....

do the bmw made some changes on the hid bulb in the last 3 years ???

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have the same damn problem. Mixed match Bulbs. I have one thats blueish and one thats white. Hey, maybe you would like to trade bulbs? I just want mine to match. If you can find one D2S bulb they are like 50 to 70 bucks.

PM ME.

·
Sofa-king-what
2,000 Posts
.....BUT......the dealer told me that light from a xenon bulb starts from a yellow-white, to reach ,at the end of the bulb's life, a blue light......???!!??? ok it will be true.. but my xenon always made blue light ,since the first day???

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't know about other models, but I'm 100% sure that 2002+ M3 Xenons have waaaay less blue tint. When you look at the edge of the beam on older M3s you can see a sharp blue/purple spectrum, on my 2002 M3 the spectrum seems much more white/gold. I would much rather have the blueish sparkle, thats why im curious as to what brand provides it.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,794 Posts
There is a great post about the color of xenons if you do a search. It is my understanding that xenons from a year or so ago are blue because the bulb makers left the blue tint to the light to make the feature stand out. Because of complaints from the DOT, other motorists etc. bulb mfgs are now taking the blue out of the bulb. So BMW could be replacing the bulb with the same bulb and part number but the properties of the bulb from the mfg are different now.

This is my hacked up quick explanation, search for the full details.

Tim

·
Sofa-king-what
2,000 Posts
woa woa

both my light make a spectrum like that.... but the light behind the lenses is different!!!!

i mean: both starts from the same bluish color... then when the bulbs "get hot" one still blue an the other quikly fade to white (or better yellow...:banghead: )

·
Sofa-king-what
2,000 Posts
ahhhhh the good old things....

ok ok ok now I know what to ask to Santa... for xmas........

(Sh*t.... he wouldn't take me the real-doll i've asked him:banghead: )

·
Registered
705 Posts
1 is producing a bluer light then the other for sure. They came out of the same 2 pack.
I hope you realize there are people driving right now that weren’t even born when this thread was created...

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,600 Posts
1 is producing a bluer light then the other for sure. They came out of the same 2 pack.
you seriously just came out with that response to a 2002 thread inactive for 16 years :banghead:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts