BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is E46 place, but I posted this in case someone can help me... I need desperate help !

Hi folks, i really need some help in my case. This morning, i bought a xenon kit, oem hella with phillips D2R bulb to have it installed later on in my E39 540i 97 halogen equipped. Now before continuing, i must say that I plugged everything properly, did not make any shotcuts or anything like that. What I did for the install is I simply cut the two (yellow and brown) wires that power the H7 and have it hooked up directly into the ballast, with the correct polarity. I did not use any relay or anything like that.

So here comes the problems; the first time I fire up the xenon, everything worked excellent, second time as well. But, the third time, I lost every light in the car. Now, as soon as I put the ignition to 3rd, the low beams automatically engage, I don't even need to turn the knob anymore, no mather what position it is, the low beam is on. I also lost my DRL (wich usually engage when the knob for the headlight is at ''OFF''), and my High beams (I can't put the highs anymore), as well as all the interior lights (cluster lights, ambiance light etc..) The hazard light are not working either, as well as BACK up light. The fog light also are not working.
The onboard computer, wich usually says Malfunction is not working anymore (because before the install, I had a CHECK FOG LIGHT), and it's not here anymore, as well as check brake pads...

All the fuses are 100% ok (in glove box and trunk)

Now, is there any other fuses or relay located somewhere in the car, Does anyone know what could have happened. It does not smell burnt or anything like that, it just happened like nothing !!!

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does it have to do with the battery, everything is working excellent in the car, except for those things...

Tanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem, from experience(engineer)it seems as though you swapped the polarity. The lamps will work for a short period of time but at a greatly increased current. This causes the ballast to blow. Something else you might try is taking it to the dealer and have it programmed for the Xenon lamp. I am not sure your vehicle had xenons before you installed the Hella kit.
On the other hand, I have a set of brand new lamps for your car, they have never installed in a vehicle. They are OEM BMW made by Hella. They are plug and play. Disconnect your halogen lamps and plug in the Xenon, no cutting wires,etc. The lamps are for a '99-'00, but will fit your '97 fine. In fact they readily accept the angel eye kit from Hella.
Dave

·
Registered
355 Posts
I had halogens as well, and i recently installed aftermarket HIDs, it was flickering and the check lamp light was on. I took it to BMW dealerships in Toronto and non of them would reprogram my car for xenons. So what my mechanic had to do was put in a relay+diode+16v capacitor and hook it up to one of the interior lights wire. After that everything was working great but the check lamp light will be on which i had to live with.

I have no idea why the dealerships in Toronto will not do the reprogram for me. ( The tech said they will do it for sure but the service manager said he won't allow that to happen ). Sigh~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts