BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a set of OEM bi-xenon headlights to replace my stock halogen lights for my 2002 330ci. I currently have a titanium headlight bezel with clear corners and I look the look as is.

My question is this: I know I can swap the trim out to replace the black in the xenons, but are there any known issues with the xenon lights with silver headlight trim? I'm wondering if there is a reason xenons came stock with black trim vs the silver (reflection issues, perhaps?). Am I crazy?

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Not entirely true. It also depends on which "package" your car came with. Mine's a U.S. spec 330 that came with the M sport package II and the headlight trim is black. Came stock that way...
M-sports package and M-sports package II didn't exist in the US. Closest thing we got to M-Sport II is the ZHP package. Which is basically the same thing with tweaked cams, a shorter diff, louder exhaust, and raised redline (and was available on 330s only). But since coupes didn't get that 'til 2004, that's not what your car has. Maybe your car's Canadian (I don't know how the packages work there).

This is how the trim thing worked in the US:
For 2001 to 2003: 325s, M3s, and ZHPs came with black headlight trim. Non-ZHP 330s came with silver trim. For 2004+ all US E46s got black headlight trim regardless of model or options.

I don't know how things worked in Europe, but I know it was still possible for 2004+ E46s to get silver trim... which is why we sometimes see weird looking things like this facelift convertible:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts