E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bmw e46 330ci 2001

Hi everyone,
I left my car out in some heavy rain the other day and went to go for a drive and one projector light wasn't working. These are the lights that come on when you drive at night. When I turn my lights on, there's 3 short, sharp, quick bursts of yellow light and then it stops. I tried swapping the bulbs but had no luck. I'll link the video as a YouTube link. If anyone has had a similar issue or knows how to further troubleshoot please let me know. Cheers

·
Super Moderator
'02 330i 5-Speed
6,035 Posts
Is there any moisture in that headlight assembly? If so, chances are it's affecting the components inside. The ballast is secured to the outside of the assembly and is more weather-proof, but the igniter is inside, under the headlight bowl and is more moisture-sensitive. Determining whether or not water got in may help you narrow down the list of potentially faulty components.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there any moisture in that headlight assembly? If so, chances are it's affecting the components inside. The ballast is secured to the outside of the assembly and is more weather-proof, but the igniter is inside, under the headlight bowl and is more moisture-sensitive. Determining whether or not water got in may help you narrow down the list of potentially faulty components.
Hey mate. There wouldn't be any moisture now. Would your best bet be the igniter considering the ballast is water resistant?

·
Super Moderator
'02 330i 5-Speed
6,035 Posts
Hey mate. There wouldn't be any moisture now. Would your best bet be the igniter considering the ballast is water resistant?
Moisture can be forced in around headlight seals by heavy rain and get trapped in the housing. The only way to remove it is to pull off the lens and dry everything out (and install new seals, obviously). Headlight assemblies don't dry themselves out, in other words.

If you're positive there's no moisture inside, then all the xenon components are potentially faulty. Time to break out the multimeter and check voltage/resistance (I don't have the factory values handy but I'm sure they're online somewhere).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.