BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have the annoying and dreaded xenon flicker in my 03 facelift 325Ci.

As the tail lights are factory LEDs, the earth wire fix I've read a great deal about doesn't apply here. I removed the light to have a look, and it is vastly different to the sedan versions, and there are no wires accessible.

I have also heard it rumoured that the ballasts could be going. I do hope not.

The specific problem I have is that the lights flash bright for a fraction of a second on startup, then stay on but dim. Occasionally they flicker, or one light fails (intermittently this occurs to each side, usually only one at a time, but twice they were both off at the same time). Once I turn the lights on and off again, the lights both remain on, but still dim.

Also, when I turn off the lights, all lights remain on for up to three seconds (instruments, headlights and tail lights, and LCM). This doesn't always happen. It's odd.

Due to the age of the car, I have ordered some new bulbs in the hope this may correct it, but I am doubtful.

Has anyone had any success correcting this issue on a facelift coupe with led tail lights?

If these symptoms sound familiar, it would be amazing to hear some other views.

Cheers.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Mine was flickering bad and also completely going out. Just the driver side though. I have a Sedan with LED tails so i knew my grounds were good. I was scared it was the ballast but i had an old D2S bulb i saved so i put that one in and no more flickering occurred. So it was the bulb. I have a new pair coming in tomorrow. Your problem sounds a bit more complicated though.

·
Registered
E39 E90 E46 F10
5,090 Posts
I had the same symptoms. For me it was the burner. New original D2S from a reputable source and it never happened again. I replaced both sides even though only one was showing symptoms.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Don't get those cheap umnitza $25 bulbs... What a waste.. Only good for maybe two months and then you run into same problems (dim lights / purple beams / flickering).. Can't believe all the reviews are 4-5 stars.. Maybe they reviewed immediately after installation.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips so far; I'm glad to find people with the led taillights also have had issues corrected. I am feeling somewhat optimistic - hopefully the new lights arrive soon - I purchased from a company with good warranties for AUD80 each (things are expensive this side of the pond, so while that's high it's standard for good quality).

I feel that there may be some additional gremlins hidden (my indicators repeat quicker than I am accustomed to, but not so quick as to indicate a bulb failure). But as with the speed of lcm response, this could simply be a need for me to become more familiar with the car.

Cheers

·
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
2,530 Posts
Also, when I turn off the lights, all lights remain on for up to three seconds (instruments, headlights and tail lights, and LCM). This doesn't always happen. It's odd.
That's strange -- granted, the facelifts (at least the ones with the adaptive xenons) have a noticeable 'wait' to power down the lights (it's at least 1 second).

For example, in my pre-facelift coupe, the moment you go from "A" to "Off", the lights go out -- if you were to travel through to "ON" (far right) the lights would power down and then back up. With the newer LCMs, however, all the lights would stay on, and only the adaptive feature would turn on/off (depending on which way you moved the switch).

So, having had said that, I wonder if the LCM is causing this issue... certainly none of the BMWs I've used took 3 seconds to power down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts