E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 E46 325i Sedan
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I know that Wurth is a very reputable company and make pretty good products. But just wanna ask what's everyone's take on Wurth coolant/antifreeze as I'm about to replace my coolant.

Is it also true that the coolant doesn't really matter if I change once every 2 to 3 years, as the most important parts are the cooling system parts themselves?

·
Registered
11,701 Posts
I would contact Wurth to make sure it’s compatible with the engine. Replacing the coolant every 4 years seems to be a good idea.

·
Premium Member
2000 328i ZSP Manual
511 Posts
From searching I see that Wurth makes a few different types of coolant, but I don't think its sold/available here in the US. Go to their website and look at each type and specifications, I'd bet one of them is compatible with these cars. To be sure, as markusmarkus suggests contact them directly.

Or just go to a local BMW dealer and buy Genuine BMW coolant for your particular car and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
As poorly has BMW has chosen with regards to cooling part plastic formulations, I'd just get BMW's recommended coolant, versus trying something clever. GM made a huge mistake with their original DexCool coolant formulation, which attacked some cooling system parts, and I take that as evidence there are some incompatibilities possible. So that knowledge, plus all the "environmentally cool" plastics BMW used would lead me to be safe here.

·
Registered
2003 E46 325i Sedan
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Is it still an issue if I plan to replace it regularly, once every 3 to 4 years?

I'm letting my mechanic do the work since I'm quite busy with my own job at the moment and he highly recommends Wurth coolant over BMW. And he's very reputable in this field as well and is known to not cheat customers and help them save up.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,839 Posts
As poorly has BMW has chosen with regards to cooling part plastic formulations, I'd just get BMW's recommended coolant, versus trying something clever. GM made a huge mistake with their original DexCool coolant formulation, which attacked some cooling system parts, and I take that as evidence there are some incompatibilities possible. So that knowledge, plus all the "environmentally cool" plastics BMW used would lead me to be safe here.
I used to love the large aspirin tablets ( additive that looks like 2 giant aspirin tablets) for the Northstar engines.

Worst cooling system band-aid I've ever seen. GM cost me a customer with that one.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,839 Posts
I would stick with the original BMW formulation.
If that is too hard to get, use the Pentofrost NF (Pentosin Brand) coolant.

·
Registered
2004 330i
7,443 Posts
Zerex g06

Or the bmw

I use the zerex since I despise the dealer

I think it's g05 now

·
Registered
2004 325xi, 2000 323ci, 2012 135i
40 Posts
I have not had bad experience with Wuerth products. The blue coolant is found all over in Germany, I personally have run different brands of blue coolant in all my BMWs. In Germany I ran Glysantin and Repstar brand, I could not justify paying BMW more for essentially the same formulation which probably came out of the same factory.

Germany does not have a lot of chemical factories and it would not be surprising to me at all if most of it came out of the same factory at BASF.

Honestly, I would not hesitate to run the Wuerth coolant at all. It is made in Germany from a reputable company who supplies the German industry. While I am back in the United States I have been using either Zerex (Valvoline) or the Beck Arnley Blue Euro Coolant (made in Germany).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts