E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First it was the passenger side front marker, fell out and the only thing keeping it from falling off the car altogether was the wiring harness. Silver lining was that I finally upgraded to clears all the way around. When I replaced the front markers, I noticed the driver side marker also had tabs broken off so it was just a matter of time before that one let go.

Then today as I'm closing the hood, the passenger side kidney grill falls off. All but one of the 6-7 tabs are broken, wtf. The car is a 2000 sedan, so it's roughly 8 years old and all the plastic is detioriating or becoming so brittle that tabs are just breaking off like nothing. Has anyone else experienced this? I haven't had this problem with other cars I've owned in the past. I've had my Integra for 13 years and this stuff doesn't happen!

Makes me think my next weekend car might not be a BMW, which was a foregone conclusion (can you say 135i). Makes me think I should cross-shop an IS250/350 or RX-8.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
... and according to the Tischer OEM Parts website, replacing just one of them is $38.50. $40 bucks for a chromed piece of plastic. Jesus!

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
nope never happened to my e46 or e36, but when they do break off that was because of me taking them apart previously and putting them back wrongly. lol.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The plastic gets brittle with the engine heat over time and breaks easily. A body shop broke off all the kidney grill clips so I had them get me new ones :D

I wonder if there is some plastic treatment so that it stays more flexible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The plastic gets brittle with the engine heat over time and breaks easily. A body shop broke off all the kidney grill clips so I had them get me new ones :D

I wonder if there is some plastic treatment so that it stays more flexible.
+1

The plastic dries out from the heat. Since plastic is a petroleum based product (like rubber), you can try looking for some type of plastic or rubber conditioner to make them last longer.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
this sounds more like improper removal of said failed pieces. I don't see how the kidney grill plastic clips would just break. It's more likely someone went to remove them and bent the clips which led to their demise

·
Registered
121 Posts
my car is exactly the same way. My grill broke. So i blamed it on the dealership and complained and they fixed it. hahaha.

the little tabs break all the time. My car is from texas where it is hot as hell.

I guess BMW should have invested in a thicker plastic?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
my car is exactly the same way. My grill broke. So i blamed it on the dealership and complained and they fixed it. hahaha.

the little tabs break all the time. My car is from texas where it is hot as hell.

I guess BMW should have invested in a thicker plastic?
They should have used more screws and less plastic tabs which are dependent on flexibility to work. And I don't mean plastic screws (damn radiator bleed screw :rofl:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts