BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i was driving with my windows closed and the radio off.... i heard some sort of electric clicking sound coming from the back of the car... then this red light was flashing... its the light that comes on when you press the button to take the top off... it was blinking on and off and the back was making a clicking noise (sort of like when your windows are up and u push the button to close them)

any vert owners have this happen to them? could it be because its really cold outside or something? this never happened before

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,582 Posts
dame, sounds serious. i suggest u take it to the dealer.

Here is what happened to my top before. The folding mechanism cut one of the wires. i think this was a factory defect. anyhow, it cut the wire and my top completely stopped working. When i open the canvas cover, i can see the shreddded wire exposed. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the parts for free since it was under warranty. afterwards, i noticed they relocated the wires so the folding mechanism wont have any affect on the wires anymore. But This was to the extreme.

in your case, i think it may have to do with a electrical switch that works in conjunction with the folding mechanism in the rear of ur car. perhaps that has a hickup. Otherwise, i don't really know what to tell u cuz i never experienced this. But i would highly suggest that you take it to the dealer. Since u didnt mess with any of the electrical parts of the top, they have to cover it under warranty.

Good luck, keep me posted.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mike i am worried they will try to blame it on my ice (either the head unit or the subs/amp)

damn it

·
'a certain moderator'
35,565 Posts
maybe take out the ICE in the back... is your dealer aware that it was ever in there? i doubt they have a case linking anything in the rear to the headunit...

good luck bro, r u gonna be at the LI meet sunday?

-brendan

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have to work on sundays, thats why i can never make it to the meets because there always on sundays lol

damn i dont want to take out my box but looks like i might have to... damn it i hate my car

·
Town Clown
15,001 Posts
yikes.....never had a problem, but you're right, the dealer will most likely blame your ICE (they can take the cop-out route and blame anything electrical on aftermarket ICE eq).

I'll keep my fingers crossed that your dealer doesn't give you sh*t. Let us know what they find.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what are the chances of the dealer blaming it on my ice? I mean, its not like the audio has anything to do with the softtop???? damn, it sucks how i have to worry about it.... i hate bmw and if this fruitcake service manager tries to screw me im gonna slap the taste out of his mouth... ok i probably wont but i really want to

1 - 8 of 8 Posts