BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I recently purchased an '04 330cic with 84k miles (had it checked out before writing the check). It wasn't throwing any codes at the time, but after a 2500 mile vacation the last 2 weeks it decided to throw on an airbag light. In addition to the airbag light, the audio controls on the steering wheel don't work and the actual radio can be controlled but the display continues to show the last station that was on before the airbag light came on and everything went screwy. Also the clock on the radio will change but it only at random times (for instance it could be 4:30 but the clock will read 3:39 and then suddenly update to 4:30 but will then stick on 4:30 for an unspecified period of time). I took the car to the dealership yesterday and they tried to scan it but said that it wasn't even acknowledging the scanner. They wanted to do an unspecified amount of diagnosing at $125 (none of which would be applied to my repairs). Can anybody out there give me even a hint as to what area I should start looking for solutions? Any help would be appreciated! And before anybody gets too up in arms and asks..... yes I did a search, no I didn't find exactly the same issues, and no I didn't read through all 1100 threads (I did however go through about 300). Tks in advance.

·
Registered
26,272 Posts
At first I thought clockspring, but then shifted to battery, finally, resting on ignition switch.

All I remember about the ignition switch is that it seems to produce the oddest random things...yes with steering wheel controls and also with radio.

Search using advanced/title search.

I accept M3's in any color, but would prefer a dark silver or charcoal gray metallic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
New symptom

Tks everyone for the info thus far. I'm about to get a tire put on and am gonna see if they can check my voltage/battery. If that doesn't pan out, I'll start checking into the ignition switch. Also, there is a symptom that I didn't realize I had. The auto lights on the car are stuck with the xenon's on. In order to get the DRLs back I have to turn the selector to position 2 or 3. Also I've noticed that if I do leave the light selector in the auto position, when i turn on the car they don't do their standard panning up and down to let me know that they're in adaptive mode. Don't know if this changes anything, but I figured I'd put it out there.
Thankfully the convertible top doesn't seem to be affected because it is one hell of a pretty day in central VA!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
CSmith,

excact same car, same problems but worse.
problems
horn honking, a/c off, convertable not working, power loss, signals, brake lights, interior lights, etc, etc etc.
bmw charged 400 to tell me the radio was faulty, $1800 no thank you. installed a dynavin radio and it's fixed, but not for long. we also have water leaking into our trunk. bmw can find a leak but our spare tire has lots of water every time it rains. aaaarrggggggggggg.

tomorrow the car could be fine.

i have the battery on the charger as i have a funny feeling and i will get it tested.

i searched the web and there are many cases of our problems but no posts of a fix.

please if anyone can help, i am very close to giving up on BMW.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fixed!

Got it! A new ignition switch and 45 minutes of work and everything was back to normal! I can't believe how bad the dealership would've screwed me on this one! Tks to all who replied with info and solutions for my problem. NEXT UP..... new spark plugs!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts